Drew Alleman to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by clair, Jan 13, 2008.

1. clair

clair Rockets

not the most exciting pickup, but if this kid does the same thing at LSU, that he did in high school, the special teams game just got a ton better.

Every kick he had in high school was a touchback. When I say a touchback, I mean it in college terms, too.

Kicking from the 40, he'd kick it well out of the back of the endzone, so that would relate to a college touchback, too. :)

Edit: (forgot the link). :)

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=761138

The story says he will walk-on, so I don't know what that means for the commitment list of this class.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm glad we found a talent in-state and one who's ok with walking on and earning a scholly.

I would have been iffy if we offered him a scholly right off the bat--with 2 kickers offered last year, having 4 scholarship kickers and only 3 scholarship QB's would have just looked REALLY weird! :shock:

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I know what you mean about not exciting but I'm actually very excited. Keeping it out of the hands of the likes of Arenas and others is a big plus. I would get so mad during the season at how we couldn't kick them out of the endzone with a team as loaded as ours. Just seemed like we should have had a kicker of equal caliber. He and Colt are going to win us some games.

Thanks for sharing.

4. clair

clair Rockets

No problem.

I had a question. Is there a difference between the college and high school ball?

I know there is a difference between the college and pro ball and sometimes it affects kickers in a positive/negative way.

A good example is Wade Ritchey who couldn't make a kick at LSU, but was a pretty solid pro.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Except for the stripes on the college ball, the manufacturer, the balls are the same as high school.

Youth and middle school (junior high) football is smaller.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Alleman is enrolled for the Spring & if he wins a starting spot for next year (better than 50% chance), then he'll get a scholarship.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I mentioned it here once before but with the rule change regarding ball placement on kickoffs I expected coaches to start looking toward some soccer players with serious legs to come kick. After we lost Mario Danelo a year ago we were lucky to have signed David Buehler who also happened to play LB and FB at a JC. Dude can kick the ball and tackle if he has to instead of faking it to avoid getting creamed.

8. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: :crystal: :helmet: Amen brother. It was so frustrating to see every kickoff of ours go no further than the 5 yard line at best. Most ended up around the 7 to 12 yard line. I saw so many kickers on other teams this year with guys who could kick it in to our out of the end zone. That's a big weapon on special teams when the other team doesn't get that chance to pop a big one.
    If this kid can come in and kick it in/out of the end zone great. If Jasper or Crutchfield can get some leg strength in the off season and do it that's great too. I just want someone to kick it in to/out of the end zone next year!!!!!!!!:geauxtige :champs: :LSU231: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal:

9. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

I don't know about HS vs college, but the other diff between college and NFL is the width of the hashes.. college kickers have to kick at more of an angle. Maybe that's another reason why Ritchey has done better as a pro?

10. Pringle

Pringle FUSC and FND

We already have 7 kickers for next year! SEVEN! Why not carry 8 I guess.