Drew Brees completed 25 of his last 27 passes

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Feb 7, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My apologies to Drew Brees.

He actually ended the game 26 of 28, with one pass being a clocking (downing of the ball).

So basically a Reggie Bush drop of completing 27 straight passes that he actually intended to pass.

That's the best streak of passing in Super Bowl history, surpassing Phil Simms 22 of 25 passing.

I wish the NFL would make a new ruling that clocked balls are not recorded as incompletions by the QB but make it a "team" incompletion.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That was a Colston Drop. It hit his facemask.

3. islstl

That was earlier in the game (Brees was 3-6 for at that point).

At the point in which he was 6-11, Brees went 26 of 28.

The only pass that wasn't caught was a pass to Bush late in the 3rd quarter out in the flat near the sideline.

He was actually off target only twice all game long. Once on the long pass to Meachem that was barely overthrown on the very first series of the game. And the worst pass of the game, the huge overthrow to Shockey in the seam that was close to being intercepted. On that play he had Meachem streaking down the sideline open but chose to go to Shockey who was covered pretty well.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Brees got a ton of praise from Steve Young before and after the game. I think it means much more coming from another big time NFL QB than it does the others on the panel. Steve Young actually knows what it takes to play the position at a very high level. .

5. islstl

Steve Young is a huge Drew Brees fan. I think he can relate to a QB who isn't 6'5" and doesn't have a rocket arm. You have to be smart and precise, and that's exactly Steve Young was in his career. Steve Young was trumpeting the Saints all year long. He never lost faith.

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I remember after the Saints return to the dome in 2006. All the "experts" were writing the game off to emotion. All exept for Steve Young. I think he's actually a Saints fan. I knew there was a reason he was my favorite QB when I was growing up. Now it all makes sense, b/c I hate the 49ers.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think Young is a fan of great QB play, especially really smart QB play. Brees was a surgeon this year, but he carved up defenses like a coroner.