Drop the BCS, Lets talk about Capital One...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Dec 6, 2004.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Lets talk about game planning.. my opinion.. look at the arkansas and florida games.. look at the plays called.. that should be the gameplan.. put randall in.. let the kid run.. start with quick, short passes, playaction, qb draws.. it builds the guy's confidence..

On D.. watch the max protection.. that has killed LSU all season.. the blitz package we run is great against 5, 6 blockers.. but when the team keeps in the tightend and running back and block with 7 or 8, it puts our corners on an island and that is how they have been getting burnt.. we need more checkoffs, more fake blitzes. Starting with the second half of the sugar bowl last year, teams have seen that max protection can hold off the blitz. When this happens, we have to checkoff to max zone and let the 4 up front get the protection sack.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Best topic on forum in days. :thumb:

I'll keep it pretty simple...

I am confident in the LSU defense and its ability to limit the offensive production of Iowa. It's the LSU offense that concerns me. Iowa has a decent defense and with our qb's, they are hit or miss... If we get "Arkansas Game Randall" then we have no worries.... But if we don't...................... Well, it could be a long game. I'd still believe the defense can keep it close enough for LSU to win regardless.

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

yea, but i think LSU will win in similar fashion to last years Sugar Bowl vs OU, maybe not as close since Iowa has no running game, they will be forced to throw the ball, making themselves more predictable. Tate is a very quick QB so he might give us fits, but if we jam up the box, we can make iowa one-dimensional. On offense we just have to get the run established because they have a smashmouth D like ours, with Roth on the D-line. i'll pick:
    LSU 24
    Iowa 14

4. MissouriHawk

MissouriHawk Freshman

First of all...I'm really looking forward to this game...and hopefully some respectful discussion...much unlike that we got from Florida fans last year. You guys have a terrific team, and this one's gonna be a lot of fun to watch. We have no running game. This is very true, but, we haven't had a running game since our opener against Kent State. Our defense keeps us in games...no question. We don't blitz a whole lot, but can shut opposing teams down (minus the two losses and our win against Minnesota). I don't know too much about your Bayou Bengals...but I look forward to getting to know them...and of course hopefully beating them :) . good luck guys and gals and may the best team win.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Welcome to the board. I can't promise everyone will be cordial to you guys, but for the most part, you'll find respectful, mature conversations. Feel free to do a search to find threads relating to the strengths and weaknesses of our team. There have been several opened in the past few days discussing this with other Hawkeye fans.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

You bet your sweet ### the OH excuse me just getting you ready for some of our partners in crime.

Any way we have running back by committee and 2 of them don't like the first guy making the tackle. You will know there names by the end of the game. Broussard and Addai. Broussard will give the next guy he sees a shot if there is nowhere to go. Addai is strong enough to do it but I think his feet are just a bit quicker.

I'll give to some of the other folks here to give you there teaspoon worth of info.

7. PortlandHawk

PortlandHawk Freshman

Greetings Tiger fans.

I think with two strong defenses, turnovers and special teams will make the difference.

With turnovers, I see you guys are (-3) for the season. 24 lost, 21 gained. That includes 15 fumbles lost, at least one in 9 of your 11 games. On our side, we're (+14) for the season. 17 lost, 31 gained. This includes 20 takeaways in our last 5 games.

Field position will be key with tough defenses, so special teams will play a big role. But looking at the stats, I don't think either team will have any big returns. Kick returns are a wash. You guys get 19ypr and give up 17ypr. We get 19ypr and give up 19ypr. No touchdowns on either side.
    We get more punt return yardage per kick, but you guys cover very well. You're getting 7ypr on punt returns, giving up just 5ypr. We get 14ypr, giving up 8ypr. Each scoring just 1 TD and not giving up any.

Our kicker is 20/25. Yours are 15/23. That gives us an advantage in the kicking game I'd say.

So I'll say that both defenses hold up pretty well, but Iowa will get one or two big turnovers that will lead to scores, giving us a close win.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

True.. both teams have good defenses.. but LSU allows 40 less yards per game this year with a higher rated schedule..

9. Goat Roper

Goat Roper Freshman

Iowa has nil for a running game after they lost first through fourth string backs to injury leaving poor Sam Brownlee to carry the load. He performed admirally, just enough of a threat that he required attention. Look like Iowa might have a few more people to hand the ball to by the time Jan 1 rolls around.

Defense for Iowa has been great the last 3/4 of the year. Those early games KILLED the Hawks. Their lack of running game and no cure for it at the time was just to much.

Show me a more mobile QB in Div 1 than Drew tate for Iowa. That guy killed us here in Wisconsin (we get your Georgia folks in the Outback Bowl) and we had the #4 ranked defense in the country.

Iowa was an underdog to Florida last year before the Hawks made it into a laugher, IN FLORIDA.

FOX Prediction: http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2003/Bowls/Outback.htm

Actual score: Iowa Hawkeyes 37, Florida Gators 17

I know, I know, new year, diff team. Iowa plays better as the underdog it seems.

I don't know much of anything about LSU except that they got screwed last year with this BCS mess, so good luck to all!

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Good points, but it looks like we've solved the turnover and kicking problems over the last few games. One thing about Saban's teams...you had better get to them early in the year because they close like gangbusters.