Dropbox

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jan 3, 2015.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dropbox has been doing this for years.

2. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

That's not actually true Kyle. Microsoft was creating shared storage long before all the others came out. Windows SharePoint started in 2001. You could say that Microsoft actually pioneered the technology. Now if you want to compare apples to apples, Dropbox started in June 2007, and actually didn't launch until 2008. Microsoft's OneDrive (previously named SkyDrive) launched in August 2007. And I believe today, new users get 15gb free storage.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hes defending ios again for not allowing memory upgrades or having ports which is pretty hilarious. like that is a selling point.

anyhow, dropbox works great. been using it forever. it will back up your pictures automatically. i have an ipad 2 as well. and i havent upgraded to 8 because its jailbroken. but ive used 8. dont see a big difference.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

pretty sure everything microsoft ive used is too invasive for my liking. skydrive is no different.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't mean shee-it.

6. red55

Still miss that floppy drive, Ebenezer?

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Finally, an answer that is actionable. Thank you! What about 7?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I still have a couple of Zip drives and a bunch of 100 mg Zip discs of anybody wants them

9. red55

You'll probably find they don't work anymore. I discovered about 30 data zip disks a few years ago in my filing cabinet. I found every remaining zip drive in the department and none of them would work. I ended up sending the disks to a service to recover the data. Right now I have hundreds and hundreds of backup CD's from long ago and already CD drives are beginning to disappear from computers. I need to get a student to start transferring all of those to hard drives while it's easy.

This happens every so often. The biggest media data loss was when we switched from giant reels of tape and "disk packs" on the old mainframe to PC hard drives in the 80's. I've been through 8" floppy, 5" floppy, 3"floppies, Bernouli disks, JAZ, ZIP, you name it.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The drives may be incompatible with your latest up to date computers. They would probably still work if you dig up an old computer to use them on.