Drug testing welfare recipients

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rwilliams, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2011/03/the_fourt_time_is_no_charm_for.html

why is taking a drug test to go to work ok and it's not ok to drug test welfare recipients? I take four hair test a year. Every person in this plant does. Why is it unfair or racist to ask the same of welfare recipients. Republicans have been called racist and other negative names and democrats have fought this and have tried to score political points by voting this down. Kids suffer in the hood and trailer park dumps because their parents spend all their money on drugs. I'm not trying to get down on the occasional pot smoker. Pot should be legal IMO. These people that can't take care of themselves and the taxpayer ( you and me) has to be daddy and take care of their azz then they need to prove they are trying to get off the tit. They can do this by showing they could pass a pre employment drug test if they happen to get that call out the blue for a job. Now mr. Liberal please tell me why you condone drug use by welfare recipients. When you do not support drug testing them this is what you are doing.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I condone drug use by anyone over the age of 21. If you want to get a job though, you better get yourself clean. I have no problem drug testing welfare recipients.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

It is just another program to waste money.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I tend to agree. It's a feel-good program that will cost a lot of money, make some medical contractor's rich, and not do a damn thing to keep addicts off their addictions.

If they are welfare recipients then they have dependent children. If we drop mothers for testing positive, then we will have to make the kids wards of the state, and place them in expensive tax-funded foster care until they are 18.

This is the sort of thing that raises the costs of government and accomplishes nothing positive.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

what if a positive drug test is grounds for mandatory drug counseling to receive the benefits? or so many strikes of positive drug tests and you lose the benefits and the kids are taken from you? parents that are addicts that dont receive benefits (i'm thinking drugs like meth, crack, herion) are generally considered unfit, providing an unsafe environment, and can have their kids taken from them, so what is the difference there with the kids?

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We were talking in another thread about schools and the blame for poorly performing kids. My thoughts are that it is as much the parents fault as the teachers that a child fails to learn. I would be willing to bet that over half of failing kids come from homes where the family is on goverment assistance and that over half of these parents can not pass a drug/alchol test on a random basis. If you know who is abusing you know who to try and rehab. I would bet that if you get these parents straight you also get them to take responsibility of their lives. They get off drugs, welfare and their kids improve in school. Drug abusing parents can't keep a job thus go on welfare and the bad home life effects the kids negatively causing poor school grades. Poor school grades causes many to drop out starting the chain over again.

7. red55

I'm hearing the same people who are screaming for cutting government spending now calling for increasing government spending on welfare, which is what this would do. More medical lab bills for the government, more "counseling" bills, and more kids in the foster system. Taxes pay for all of this.

Three years is all that these people get on welfare anymore since the CLinton reforms and they already have to take mandatory job training and seek employment every month. Let's not make it any more expensive. I think it's a high-cost, low-payoff idea probably lobbied for by the medical laboratory industry who would profit from it.

8. red55

I'll take that bet. Prove it.

Are you under the impression that alcohol is illegal?

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We were talking in another thread about schools and the blame for poorly performing kids. My thoughts are that it is as much the parents fault as the teachers that a child fails to learn. I would be willing to bet that over half of failing kids come from homes where the family is on goverment assistance and that over half of these parents can not pass a drug/alchol test on a random basis. If you know who is abusing you know who to try and rehab. I would bet that if you get these parents straight you also get them to take responsibility of their lives. They get off drugs, welfare and their kids improve in school. Drug abusing parents can't keep a job thus go on welfare and the bad home life effects the kids negatively causing poor school grades. Poor school grades causes many to drop out starting the chain over again.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I advocate no welfare. Let's go to a dog-eat-dog, every man for himself system and thin the herd a bit. It's time.