Drugs and Sports (w/ Bennie Brazell) (article)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Carface, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

Just say no to drugs.

Edit: Forgot to post a link.

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/di...3/42270f11ab0ab

2. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

well you know they're not testing Bennie for roids! :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

3. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

“I’ve been tested too many times,” Brazell said. “They test me too much in both sports, football and track. Why can’t one just count for everything?” [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe they should just test during freshmen orientation, yea that should count for the entire life of a college athlete.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Well, for efficiency purposes, you would think they could leverage the tests from one sport for the other. Whichever has the more frequent testing requirements (if there is a difference) should suffice for the other sport. I could be completely wrong if they have different standards for testing, but that would intuitively make sense.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i used to do the drug testing for lsu athletes. it may have changed since then, but all athletes were tested with same random frequency in and out of season. perhaps theyve gone to a system where its done by sport so he is done twice, but i doubt it.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

From the article:
    “We have a zero tolerance policy,” Segar said.

Under the LSU zero tolerance policy, the first positive test results in notifying the athlete’s coach and parents. The athlete must also meet with a staff psychologist.

A second violation may result in game or practice suspensions by the University. The University also imposes a minimum five-day suspension from all athletic events such as practice, weightlifting and running. In addition, the student athlete is subject for the first time to a suspension from competitions.

The third positive test can result in a one-year suspension from all team-related activities including practices and games. During the suspension the athlete’s scholarship can be revoked by the coach. Third violation cases may be appealed, but a positive test after an appeal results in permanent suspension."

That doesn't seem to be a zero tolerance penalty to me, being that you have to have 3 positive tests to face suspension.

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Kinda sounds like the new MLB policy, huh? ZERO TOLERANCE*

* except for the first few violations