Dry rubs

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Ellis Hugh, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I'm going to make up a batch. I would like to make a big batch to keep for future uses.

-Some say refrigerate, some say keep in airtight jar in pantry
    -Some say will keep "a few weeks", some say will keep indefinitely

What are your opinions?

I can't imagine why it wouldn't keep indefinitely. After all, all of the individual ingredients keep indefinitely in your pantry. Does something change when you mix them together? Same arguement for refrigeration.

I'm thinking:
    2 parts black pepper, paprika, onion powder, granulated garlic
    1 part brown sugar, chili powder, kosher salt, dry mustard
    pinches of cayenne, cumin
    MAYBE pinches of sage, nutmeg, thyme

2. geauxlsutigers

geauxlsutigers Freshman

A good rub

Only tried this on ribs but it would probably be good on anything.

1/4 cup paprika
    1-1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
    1-1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
    1 Tbsp. Salt
    1-1/2 tsp. red pepper
    1-1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    :lsup: :champs:

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ellis: No sage. It makes it taste like breakfast sausage. Dry ingredients kept in an airtight container will keep for a long time, though flavors will eventually fade. And, I've slept in a HolidayIn Express.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Lazy Red just uses Tony Chacheres plus some fresh ground black pepper. No sugar or sweetness.

5. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Dry rubs? OK, I've had them a couple of times, and I don't mind saying they were pretty darn painful.

6. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

I agree with the no sage thought - wrong for what you are trying to do

A dry rub is a dry marinade that is used to break down the tissue of the meat and infuse flavor usually used on tough red meats like brisket, flank steak, and ribs.

Mrs. Gus has a good version that I will post tomorrow (I can't find it, and she's alseep) that we use - we cover the meat liberally, and put it in foil that we close up like an envelope so it's all sealed & contained and let it sit over night or at least a few hours. Because of the salt and sugar, the meat gives up liquids, and if you cook it in the foil as discribed, it creates it's own juices which has a steaming effect and intensifies the flavor in the cooking process in the oven.

We often do ribs like this and bake them for two - three hours over medium heat. Because you close up the packet you have made with the foil, everything stays put in the packet. The ribs come out tender and awesome when we finish them on the grill & add sauce. You can even do this ahead of time (friday night) and refrigerate the ribs.

We use regular sugar, but I guess if you like a less savory finished product or if you want to use a sweeter sauce when you finish, the brown sugar would work.

My two cents......