Dual Threat or Dropback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

With dual threat quarterbacks being all the rage these days its funny that one of the most unathletic quarterbacks to ever play the game just broke the all time NFL record for career TD passes tonight.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

An the QB that followed him, won the NC at Tenn, a duel threat QB. Oh, Tee Martin is the WR coach at USCw........FYI.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It seems the dual threat can get you a national championship, but won't get you a Super Bowl ring. Unless you count Russell Wilson as a dual threat.

4. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Wilson is the perfect dual threat QB. He is a pocket passer first and foremost. He will run only when he has to. Which makes him that much more dangerous.

I think the running dual threat is better suited for college. I think LSU can have a lot of success, we just need one to mature. Both are still young. I think the issue is LSU is stuck between being a ground and pound, power team that traditionally has a drop back passer. With QB's who are right now better suited for a more spread option like system. That falls on coaching, you have to coach to your personnel.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

God, I love that one. As if it would be up for debate.

furduknfish likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

He can throw the ball. As I said earlier 99.9 percent of "dual threat" quarterbacks are shitty in the passing game, and the term dual threat really only means that this person playing quarterback is a running back. Wilson is really the only dual threat qb that can beat you with his arm. The thing about Wilson is if you take his legs away he can still beat you. NO other "dual threat" qb can do that, so he really doesn't fit the mold even though he represents the actual term better than any other.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Johnny Manziel was a dual threat who could beat you with his arm. So is Jameis Crablegs

cajdav1 likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

I was talking about the transition to the pro game. Yes the Tebows, the Newton's, Martin's, Winston's can win you a national championship, can they win a Super Bowl. You can point to Russell Wilson, but he is the only one I can remember that can beat you with his arm if his legs were not effective.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I prefer a dual threat qb playing in a pro style offense. It throws everyone off.

10. LaSalleAve

Including the quarterbacks

lsu-i-like likes this.