Dual Threat or Dropback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Oct 19, 2014.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

very hard to determine arm strength from a bad pass. remember manning was never going to play again and reports his arm strength sucked. but this was the knock on brees, too after his surgery. thing is, no one really knows since its subjective without a juggs gun. both guys have good arm strength and great accuracy. sometimes they make bad throws and thats when the naysayers come out. because they cant just have bad runs of games without concluding their demise. we always need answers now.

remember big papi was done as was mariano rivera before they had some of their best years. and i mean everyone in the media and fans repeat it like parrots, incessantly, and becomes fact. we jump to faulty conclusions because we need answers when sometimes none are needed. sometimes a players performance is simply random but fans/media do not accept that with the 24/7 gauntlet world wide leader over analyzing everything.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

rohan was the best, bitches.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In the last 20 years there have been three LSU quarterbacks who averaged over 180 yards a game. Booty (188), Russell (184), and Mettenberger (180).

There have been three with QB ratings over 140. Perrilloux (169), Russell (147), and Tyler (141)

There have been four with a completion percentage over 60%. Perrilloux (63%), Russell (62%), Tyler (60%), and Davey 60%.

There have been four with an average pass over 8 yards a completion. Davey (9.2), Perrilloux (8.9), Russell (8.3), and Tyler (8.2).

The only guy on all four lists . . . Jamarcus Russell. Perrilloux, and Tyler made three. Davey made two. Booty and Mettenberger made one.

And the two guys who won national championships (Flynn and Mauck) were none of the statistical leaders.

mctiger and tirk like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Both Mauck and Flynn were dropback passes who could also make things happen with their feet if necessary. Perrilloux would have been in that same mold but with better run potential if he had remained on the team and continued to develop. Its really a shame he couldn't get his shit together. Les gave him second chance after second chance. I never did find out what he did that was the final straw that got him banished for good. Maybe @LSUDad can tell us.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Matt Mauck's 2003 season he passed for 2825 yard with 28 TDs for a 64% completion percentage.

islstl likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They were career numbers not single season numbers.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Les more than most coaches with give kids chances, he tries to convert kids, make them better people, making a better life for them. But there is a breaking point. I've see the "Breakfast Club," first hand. Look at some of the kids, some leave due to playing time, the grass looks greener, etc. Some are asked to leave, beyond help, not taking the help, not obeying team or school rules. Too many things can come into play. With Les, look at Perrilloux and TM7, he doesn't care if you are the best player on the team.
    Not every coach is a Les Miles, we should be thankful.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

But he was a WHOLE different cat when he was at Okie Light. Dude had some thugs with him up there but that is the only way he could beat BGB so I can sort of get with it.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You can't include Perrilloux in any listing as he didn't have enough playing time. He has the equivalent of 3 games of stats.

LSUDad and shane0911 like this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I don't know Shane, I've never seen a coach change. But this is just from coaches I know. The ones that are a POS, stay a POS. Like I always say, want to know how good a coach is, ask other coaches. I often talk about how close knit a profession it really is.