Duck Dynasty controversy

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by GregLSU, Dec 21, 2013.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

This topic seems to be gaining steam on both twitter and on the major news outlets... anyone think Phil Robertson was wrong for his comments? Was A&E wrong for suspending Phil from the show?

I'm thinking this is going to come back to bite A&Es ass big time... which imo it should.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Phil's comments were taken out of context and blown totally out of proportion by the thought police. A&E got bullied into suspending him by GLAAD, but the claims of First Amendment rights are out of context as well. There is plenty of precedent for people losing their media voice for saying "the wrong thing" (Cosell booted from MNF, Jimmy the Greek booted from CBS, Limbaugh booted from ESPN). Its an employment issue, not a First Amendment issue. Of course, viewers have the right to express their opinion by changing the channel. A&E suffered a 71% drop in viewership Thursday night for Duck Dynasty, compared to the previous week. And I'm willing to bet there are quite a few networks that would grab the show if the family won't do it without Phil. So the ball's in A&E's court now. My guess is, Phil ain't apologizing for jack-shit. Old dude's probably worth more than $50 million and lives in a double-wide? He doesn't care one rat's ass what anyone thinks about him.

Winston1 and gyver like this.
  3. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

He was asked his opinion and he gave it. It's not like he's trying to force people to throw a parade for him.

TigerBill661 likes this.
  4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I have taken a lot of heat from my liberal friends for saying this but it's the trtuth: Tolerance is a two way street, or at least it is supposed to be. When it ceases to be a two way street it devolves into special treatment. The LGBT community is in a perpetual state of asking for tolerance from those who oppose their sexual preferences but in doing so they also consistently deny that same respect to others. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with what PR said but I can tell you that the man meant no ill will by it; just stated his beliefs, misguided as they may be. That said, Mr. Robertson, nor anyone else who makes off color comments, should be crucified for doing so they way our media likes to do today. It's a bunch of bull shit really.....a distraction away from what really matters.....jobs, a revised tax code, immigration reform, healthcare.....you know, those "other" fish we have to fry. Further, it has now come to light that GQ and A & E are at least partly owned by the same group of investors and magically, after this dust up, sales of Duck Dynasty goods are flying off the shelf at records that are breaking the records they set before. Think there might just be some collusion here? I don't know, I got no proof, but I wouldn't put it past them to manipulate the public into a frenzy just to sell their goods. Think of what the viewership will be like when it comes back on the air. And make no mistake it will be back on A & E, they ain't going no where. Money.

GregLSU, Winston1 and gyver like this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Gays need to quit acting like a bunch of faggots and understand not everyone is going to agree with their lifestyle and move the fuck on.

I get people staring at me b/c I am white and married outside of my race. Fuck them. Let them think what they want. I don't go around crying about it.

GregLSU, LSUTiga and gyver like this.
  6. gyver

Some of those butchs and ferrys live for the shock effect. They want to go all out to flaunt themselves in front of people and hope some one has a problem with it. When someone calls them out then they get, well shocked. Like they can't believe someone would say something.
    I bet they'd really be shocked if Phil didn't hold back.
    Vaginas are for rootin'. Assholes are for poopin'.

shane0911 and LSUTiga like this.
  7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

your description here perfectly matches the stereotype that the media perpetuates. i can also attest to the fact that in more rural, conservative areas the gays seem to either stay in the closet or they come out swinging, very much like the description you gave above...which is indeed accurate. that said, i live very near asheville, nc where, in a 20 mile x 20 mile square there is a higher concentration of the LGBT community than even San Francisco. the difference is that they are much more relaxed about it and not nearly as in your face about it, mostly because no one really gives a damn or gives them shit. outside of asheville is very conservative and I have to say that the two groups get along pretty damn well and I attribute a lot of it to the fact that there is mutual respect and neither does inciteful things meant to shame or condemn the other group.

GregLSU, LSUTiga and gyver like this.
  8. gyver

I have a couple of cousins and a few friends that are gay. They are open about it and none of us care one way or the other because they are fun to be around and they have great personalities and a great sense of humor. They aren't the commando I'm gay here me roar type that try annoy people.
    I've drank beer with them and asked them why they were gay and when did they realize it. They basically have never been attracted to the opposite sex. Except 1 chick. She has a son but the father wouldn't claim him. She just wrote men off basically. Butch, my cousin, wishes he liked women cause his boyfriends have pretty much robbed his ass, no pun intended.
    I think, for the most part, people are born gay. And they can't be blamed for that. I think there is actual scientific proof to back that up. Something about the lobes of the brain.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...tructured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html

Tiger in NC likes this.
  9. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

A "he" "butch" ?? Your people are REALLY fucked up. :D

I just wish Phil would've given us his opinion on gay blacks. In my mind I see brothers as pussy killers so when I see a gay one it really takes me aback. (MM, that's a compliment so STFU).

gyver likes this.