Duck Dynasty controversy

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by GregLSU, Dec 21, 2013.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The reason networks love reality TV is because it is so cheap to produce and easy to break agreements. Morality clauses are common in scripted TV because of SAG. SAG will not allow an actor to be fired on a whim. I have never seen a reality talent agreement with a morality clause. The network/runner/production company can usually terminate the agreement for any reason.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Actually, even Charlie Sheen did not have a morals clause. Morals clauses are for "on air talent" and Robertson applies just like other TV, sports stars who are on TV. A&E initially said they were "disappointed" in Robertson, not "surprised" which tells me they knew what they were getting and no way their legal team doesn't move forward without a morals clause.

3. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I'd like to see that end up in court - "So A&E, you put a morals clause in their contract and then terminated them for having bible based morals because some one doesn't agree with them?"

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And after you imposed the suspension, you aired Duck Dynasty marathons....lol, awesome!

Tiger Exile and LSUTiga like this.
  5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I will grant you this: you probably do know a good deal more than me as it pertains to reality show contracts and until this, couldn't care less one way or the other. That said, you are missing the point of my argument altogether, which is that these guys signed a contract with A & E that no doubt had to contain something about controversial speak because the Robertson's have even talked in the past about some of the restrictions imposed on them by the show that they do not care for. Phil Robertson wants to be able to evagelize the world with his duck hunting show and if he wants to take his show to one of the religious stations then God Bless him for it, but for now he is under contract with A&E, and being paid handsomely for it, and he must live by the agreements he's signed his name to. You think A&E is just going to let him walk without legal ramifications? Come on man....

You know, for a long time, all of the bitching and complaining about infringement of rights came from minority groups who had genuinely been disenfranchised or refused basic human rights (i.e. they actually had something to bitch about!). Today all the bitching and complaining comes from the religious right when it comes to infringement of rights and disenfranchisement by society except theirs is righteous indignation that amounts to little more than hypocrisy and when they try and compare their plight to those who have truly suffered, it's a cheap imitation at best, and a slap in the face to all those who have truly had to struggle to maintain their rights in this country. So yeah, it does piss me off that people would defend that kind of ignorance and intolerance. I just don't understand and because it is so phony I will probably hate it for a long time. I can't stand whiners and that's what the religious right has become....a bunch of pansy ass whiners.

I play plenty golf, friend. I mean nothing personal by my arguments, but if you can't get it off your chest online, where can you? My family are right wingers so I just avoid the topic at all to keep the peace because I don't get to see them too often. This is where I come to argue, nothing personal.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You know in a way, the LGBT community should be thanking the Robertson's for giving them something to put their message out about. We have no one to thank but ourselves for dumb ass stories like this. We consume the shit out of it, and it has about as much worth as Bobby Petrino in the NFL.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Hey now, lets not get carried away. If we had more of this then maybe we wouldn't have so many of those bitchy little fags complaining because some ol redneck said they shouldn't be roto rootin each others colons.

gyver likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lol. I knew you would show up and object. As long as you are content with a daughter becoming a runway angel, then good on ya. But I know you get my point. The false indignity over Phil is laughable when there is 100x worse on TV every freaking day.

gyver likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Absolutely. Much ado about nothing