Duck Hunters?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Good job. i'm impressed. anytime i bring up my wife hunting with me the conversation ends at "well, we will get up at 0345....".

2. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

We got up at 4:45 a.m......which is sleeping in 15 minutes for me. My Sunday hunt complete with LSU post game hangover was pretty brutal though, never again.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No but 13 ain't always lucky when you're 3 in a blind during teal season.

We killed 17 this morning but were 7 men. I may be going back Friday, I'll take a pic of the blind. It's HUGE. We were comfortable- space-wise- but hunting more than 2 men is never REALLY comfortable for me.

I was on an end though. There were a lot of ducks but they weren't working at all. Pond was like glass plus pretty heavy fog so during prime time, when we saw them they were on us. We had a couple of big bunches buzz and not come back. After not shooting, in fear of, preventing others from shooting, I had to say that we were being too selective. I told them I had a standing rule in my blind, when they're in range, SHOOT.

4. LSUTiga

They killed 16 this morning. 3 men and one kid. Hope it's still good Friday when I go.

Missed a dang hunt with another friend this morning. Couldn't go in to work late again.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Teal season has been pretty good, been hunting in groups of 8 and 10 with my club. There is one fun thing being in big groups and being a sharp shooter... No one has told me to put down my gun yet. Of course we have never limited as a group with that many hunters. It would be so easy to limit with smaller groups. Our best day was a group of 8, we shot 26. Had I been alone, I would have been done by 7 every morning. Teal hunting here in Texas is a blast.

6. LSUTiga

The morning we were 7, a bunch came in and me and the guy next to me shot and dropped three. The next bunch off my end (they told me to shoot) I got a double. At that point I told one of the others to come trade places but the blind owner said not to worry, they'd get their shots in.

We'd kinda rotate and not all 7 shoot at once.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I am hoping I get to go both mornings this weekend, on the wait list for Saturday, already have a spot for Sunday. My pup is just now getting back into form.

8. LSUTiga

I got up yesterday morning a bit hungover and it was raining so I passed. Went this morning and we got 12 (4 hunters). Hunted 3 times last week and got 37 total. Had fun.

9. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

We had a great closing weekend of teal season. Friday I took a friend of mine who had never shot at a duck, and he had a great time and got 4 (2) confirmed kills. We limited.

On Sat we hunted through the rainstorm and limited in 20 mins. 3 hunters. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to get a group shot, so there are only 2 limits in the pic. We could have stayed and shot birds until our shoulders fell apart, there were thousands of teal. At one point, just before actual sunrise, they blacked out the horizon there were so many flying over the field. A beautiful sight to witness.

Yesterday 3 of us went back out and limited again, the hunting was just too good to pass up on the last day of the season. The highlight of Sunday was my male Chesapeake (Jackson), who I had not taken on a "full" hunt to this point. I adopted him from the TX Chesapeake Rescue group a little over a year ago. He was recovering from heartworms over last summer, so I didn't get to take him much last season. Without much training he performed like a seasoned gun dog yesterday, making 5 of the 12 retrieves (my buddy's lab picked up the remainder). On one cripple he actually swam underwater, not just dunked his head, when the bird dove. We were all pretty impressed. Jackson will make a lot more hunts with us this year!

9.30.12 Tigerfan.jpg 9.28.12 Tigerfan.jpg 9.29.12 Tigerfan.jpg

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

We had a great closing weekend, we shot 22 of 24 for the group on Saturday. We limited on Sunday as a group. Was a great teal season. I froze everything this weekend for the A&M tailgate, going to cook them up then. Can't wait till duck season.

LSUTiga likes this.