Duck Hunters?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

had a nice 2nd split opener on Sat. 3 hunters. 16 ducks and 3 geese. Easy pintail limit, and had to be careful the rest of the hunt. got a really nice eagle head too. 12.08.12 ducks (irfanview).jpg

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Bastage!

Oh and for future reference, specs belly up; ducks, belly down. :D

3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I went back home for the Louisiana second split opening day. Boat broke down opening morning half way to blind... Hopefully the parts come in today and I get back up and running.

4. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Finally had a good hunt Sunday, after getting skunked Saturday. I am hoping this nasty weather has finally pushed the ducks down. We shot 3 Greys, 9 Teal, 2 Pin tail, and 4 Red Heads we also shot three 3 speckles.

Tiger in TX likes this.
  5. BayouIrish

BayouIrish Founding Member

Can't believe I didn't check out this forum earlier. Closing out another season this weekend. It was an average year this year. Started out great, but the last few weekends since Christmas have been really slow.

I'll need to check back in on this forum next year and see how others around the state are doing.

6. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

sorry, i'm very delinquent on this but i'm just getting back into checking the boards again. i was on a project site, construction, for a while and did not have much spare time to post. anyhow

season recap:

my group averaged right at 3 birds per hunter per hunt and we bagged a total of 225 ducks and geese. Had the season not tanked in late December and January I think we could have had a much better harvest. We were on pace for a banner season, but then old man winter decided stay put up north, which I believe kept a lot of birds in the middle of the flyzone for the remainder of the season. Something that was a little out of the ordinary this season was the amount of divers we killed over rice fields. 31 redheads, 11 scaup, 4 ringnecks, and a pair of buffleheads. I guess they didn't feel like going all the way to the bays this season, lazy bastards.

All in all it was still a great year, with some good memories, and I was able to add a specklebellied goose and a grey duck to my mount collection. Taxidermist turnaround is 10-12 mos right now, so it may be a while before I can post pictures of the finished mounts.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

The deer, pheasant, and duck hunting were the only good things about living up North. As cold as it was up there, them ducks didn't have a chance, but shooting duck with frozen hands sucked but they were moving every day. The pheasants were always fun as hell to shoot, but for you serious deer hunters... won't find bigger white tail anywhere. I've seen monster doe up there that'll shame most bucks down here.

8. LSUTiga

We got 10 this morning. We were 4 though. Well I left at 8 and they stayed and got a couple more. No pics cause they were mostly spoonies. I cleaned them and they were fat & beautiful- I'll resist the op here.

Headed back in the morning. I'll try to get a pic of the blind. It's at least 16 feet long. Back half it covered where you can get out of rain. Stools to the front to sit on. Has a bilge pump in it.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

Only 7. One bunch of teal came in and we knocked down 5. Then a bunch of Gadwall's (aka "Grey DUcks") came around on my side so I pulled up, shot twice, and two fell. I stood up to mark it and looked back at the other 4 guys (we were 5 today) and said, "Did y'all shoot?" They said they thought the ducks were going to come around and lite. I reminded them yesterday they said shoot when they're in range. :D

That was the last ones to give us a chance all morning and we stayed an hour and a half after that thinking some mallards and/or pintails may come in. Yesterday there were some after we'd left.

Seriously though, they did and that's always been a policy in my blind- when I had one. TOO often I've seen ducks work a pond then haul ass without a shot fired.

Did get a pic of the blind. Will post later. Don't feel like downloading to photbucket and shyt.

10. LSUTiga

Here is a pic of the blind. Doesn't really do it justice. You can kinda gauge by the bar stools just how long it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    gyver likes this.