Duck Hunters?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 20, 2011.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I usually only hunt the second split. I wish they would eliminate the first split and just lengthen the second a week. Too hot when opening day gets here now.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I've been told we've had a lot of ducks in the area here too. Not sure how since there's hardly any water but all the same there should be some. Good luck and post some pics if you get a chance.

+1

I've been saying that for years. Actually I've said they should start the first split a week or two later and adjust accordingly. They pour in the week after the season closes.

3. KyleK

Couldn't agree more.

4. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

[​IMG]

Everyone limited. 22 greenwing teal and 2 blue wing teal. Unfortunately we did not see many big ducks, but I have no problem with 6 teal they are tasty little ducks.

2 people like this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You mean you ended up with a limit FOR everyone...I know what them lil dudes mean to a blind. A brother-in-law/father-in-law who can't shoot is the NEXT best thing. :yelwink2:

When it comes to eating ducks I prefer teal to any others. Well, teal and woodies but hadn't shot wood ducks since we had a camp/lake in the woods years ago.

6. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Yes, but little man took down a few himself. He also wounded a few and I gave him a little help there. It is his first season, so he is working on figuring everything out. He is kinda hesitant to shoot, even when I call for the shots.

I agree, a hunting buddy who can't shoot is great to have around. Especially when they pay their share of the lease and continue to show up every Saturday! :hihi:

I prefer those 2 ducks as well. I also like black bellied whistling ducks, which I have only shot here in TX. They are tree ducks like woodies, and are not gamey, plus they have a lot of meat on their legs.

7. KyleK

You sure y'all brought enough dogs? ;)

8. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Tell me about it, it gets downright chaotic at times because they are all 2.5 yrs old and still have a lot of puppy in them. Luckily they have only ripped 1 duck in half this year.

I have tried to say lets just bring 2 per hunt, but as you can see I'm one of the younger guys on the lease so my vote amounts to jack squat. And don't get me started on the "kazoo" that one guy brings to the blind........jeez!

9. KyleK

People that can't call drive me nuts! On most of my hunts, they count on me to do the calling. I have practiced for years and think I am pretty good, but the bigger thing is knowing when to shut up!

I have exactly the opposite problem with dogs - I'm usually hunting w/o. The times we do have a dog are 10 times more fun :)

10. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Same here. Me and one other guy are fairly good at calling, and like you said we know when to put the call down. But there is this one dude who literally sounds like a kazoo, and he will hit a hail call as the ducks are turning to lock up and drop landing gear. Pisses me off more than anything. Oh, and his dog is the only one that will break when birds are about to come into the spread too. He is much older than me, so it really is an issue that I just have to live with. If the guy was my age I would take his call away from him. :hihi:

More fun, and you lose less birds. I can honestly tell you that finding birds in uncut or even freshly cut rice fields is dang near impossible for us, but the pups are all over it.