Duck Hunters?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 20, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I hadn't hunted ducks the last few years but did a lot as a kid and as an adult too before I lost my hunting partner to cancer. We had a rule in our blind, no calling if the ducks were coming OR working the pond. What more can you ask?

You are nicer than me. I'd show up with one of those screw in deal and latch that sum betch to it and release him on command only. A dog that can't be controled is useless.

Other option is let it get 40+ yards and pepper his ass, it'll stop them from breaking. They'll whelp, and make a direct track back to the master. :hihi:

More fun, and you lose less birds. I can honestly tell you that finding birds in uncut or even freshly cut rice fields is dang near impossible for us, but the pups are all over it.[/QUOTE]

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

What ammo are y'all using? I'm thinking of trying some Winchester Blind Side this year. Supposed to get a heavy load but still maintain high velocity (1400 fps). Anybody tried it?

3. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

I use Winchester Xpert, 3" #4 shot. I have tried several other "high dollar" types of ammo, but I have not seen any major difference in performance; definitely not enough difference to justify spending 2x the money. Xpert is 1400 fps, and that is the main thing I look for in steel shot. I think they make some loads that are in the 1500 fps range, which is great.

4. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

[​IMG]

Sat was pretty slow, but I did bag a nice greenhead which made the hunt. That is the first Mallard I have even seen in this area of TX, so it was a bit of a surprise. He is going in the oven tonight!

5. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

[​IMG]

Just wanted to throw this picture of Chelsea on here, it came out nice, and she does a lot of the work out there.

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I'm starting to get the itch! Our first hunt every year is Thanksgiving weekend. I'll post a few pics then.

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

My Dad went this weekend, my first hunt will be Friday after Thanksgiving. Mostly been training the puppy, It will be her first hunt ever. I don't have huge expectations, mostly will be working on blind behavior.

8. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Do any of yall ever shoot snipe on slow days? I have found that they are pretty fun when the ducks aren't flying. The meat tastes similar to duck and its about the size of dove breasts.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

whats the difference between a snipe and a woodcock.

10. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Not much at all. A slightly different look, but they are related. I think you find more woodcock's in dense brush, and snipe generally stick to mud flats.