Duck, what's going on with the Oregon softball program?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TerryP, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Drivers risk their lives and their sport is hugely popular and makes money. You should make a trip to Talledega the weekend of April 27 & 28. You will see things that would make even a hippie blush.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dumb idea. Parent coaches aren’t a good thing overall and in or above HS imo. I was actually asked to coach at my kids’ HS at one point and told them that was the problem there, they need non parentsl coaching. I declined.

But with you logic I guess we need golf, tennis , soccer, gymnastics and track & field dad coaches too?

Not to mention how well we manage football coaching salaries. LSU, where we pay football coaches to not coach. Idiot.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Having his dad as his coach worked out pretty good for Pete Maravich.

Football makes enough money to pay for whatever they have to do and more. If those other sports had to pay their own way they would be hard pressed to feed the players ramen noodles.

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Women's softball draws more attendance and has higher TV ratings than college baseball,.. I think the schools get added money from TV.

College baseball loses money too,.. how much does Coach Mainieri make?

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Slight profit here homeboy in baseball. Gymnastics loses a couple mill. Cpm makes a little over a million.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

CPM makes over $1 million but LSU baseball makes money. The good teams probably all pay their own way. Oregon State baseball probably pays it's own way.

7. GiantDuckFan

is that before or after Coach Mainieri $1,125,000 a year salary is figured in?

besides LSU is special in baseball

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Would have to be after. All coaching salaries would have to be figured in on the balance sheets. Just like if you owned a business that brought in $10 million a year and all of your expenses including labor added up to $9 million your profit would be $1 million.

A few years ago I happened to be in Fayetteville, Arkansas when LSU was playing them in baseball. They have a very nice stadium that holds over 10,000. It was packed for the whole 3 game series so LSU isn't the only baseball program making money.

9. GiantDuckFan

so maybe 20 teams out of hundreds don't lose money? Like I said, women's softball draws more total attendance and has higher TV ratings than college baseball

nah, Oregon State's AD budget is over $40 million yearly in the red, Phil Knight stepped forward and supplemented the Oregon State baseball Coach's salary, or he would have left years ago,.. beav fans still shit on uncle Phil though, unappreciative effing rodents.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Usually does, for the coaches’ kids. At what expense to the other kids/team though? They don’t NEARLY all turn out to even be college material. In fact, most often just the opposite. Too often kids sitting who should be playing ahead of coaches’ kids.

If that’s your test for whether a sport should exist there would be much less men’s sports too.

Wait a minute. Is it about making enough to pay, or risking life? lmao