DWI Checkpoint (Baton Rouge)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex_B, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Speaking of FB, in that valuation thread.

I noticed this popped up today after some big story yesterday where this was done.

DWI Checkpoint@ (Baton Rouge) | Facebook

Not real sure what I think about this.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

One of the nola stations had a story about the DWI facebook page last night, pointing out that its only been up for about a week and it already has 7,000 "likes." NOPD says people are using it to evade arrest. Proponents say it cuts down on drinking and driving. I think they're full of it.

edit: after looking at the site, I know they're full of it. Police are required to give 24 hours notice of checkpoints, and while they don't give out specific locations, they do have to point out the general area they'll be staking out. People are using the facebook page to give specific locations. The good thing is (according to nola station's story), the cellphone providers who have facebook apps are beginning to block this site, so you can't sit in a bar and find out locations on your iphone.

3. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

I think they are bullschite...so I'm good with it

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

they are bull****. the checkpoints are unconstitutional. you're either for the constitution or you're not.

the facebook sites are ok with me. its called freedom of speech.

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I don't have a problem with the checkpoints. If someone is stupid enough to get behind the wheel after they've been at the bar drinking, I hope they're caught. And I won't hesitate to rat a drunk out.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I say don't drink and drive. You might spill your drink.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i remember one time reading something about cops announcing where they were gonna have a roadblock checkpoint. i think it was somewhere in southern oklahoma. put up signs reading "ohp checkpoint ahead" or something like that. but what they did instead was put the checkpoints at the exits right before where they said it would be to catch people who were intentionally trying to avoid it.

i thought that was pretty funny.

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I've heard that same story about drug checkpoints in Louisiana. I'm a bit suspicious that it's urban legend though. Funny nonetheless.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

agree with swerved; sounds like urban legend stuff. But I know for a fact that for at least some checkpoints in LA, they've got a cop in his car nearby to go after people who, say, make a u-turn on a two-lane to avoid the checkpoint.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

It may have been, who knows. Its been so long I don't remember if it was a legit news outlet I heard/read it from or not. But it needs to happen.