DWI Checkpoint (Baton Rouge)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex_B, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

My advice (which is not intended to be legal advice and is just my personal opinion based on life experiences) is you should do the exact opposite if you have had a few before driving home. You give them your name, your ID and your insurance. Do not do the field test and do NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES blow in the breathalyzer.

The worst they can charge you with is obstruction or something to that tune

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Oxymoron

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Lots of drug smuggler's are smart. Frank Lewis could have been a fortune 500 CEO, but liked selling heroin better.

4. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the right to drive is covered in the constitution. When the state agreed to give me the privilege to drive on their public roads, I agreed to follow their laws and their means of enforcing it. If I want to drive around my property on my private road cross-eyed drunk while shooting my shotgun out my window and a cop tries to stop me, I would consider that an invasion of privacy.

I have never been through a DWI checkpoint so I am still confused how it is random; I thought they stopped every car, is this not the case? If they came up with a system of checking every 3rd car, as Bud Lee said, how would that change anything?

Do you also consider metal detectors at courthouses, airports, and other public places a violation of your constitutional rights? What about when they are looking for fugitives or any other reason for checkpoints, do you consider that violations of the constitution? Pat downs at stadiums? Crossing the border? Where do you draw the line?

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dunno about dwi but drug checkpoints are clearly unconstitutional and dont happen.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats true, but the drug dealer has constitutional rights and can just refuse to open the trunk without a warrant and be fine anyways.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

The courthouse is not your private property.

You draw the line at national security. Bc if you don't have that your individual rights are gone anyhow.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

You've apparently never seen someone refuse this in real life. It's basically a courtesy to ask. When you say no they impound your car then tear it apart in a search. And you may never get it back.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are naive, sir. The Georgia narcs watch all the backroads coming out of Florida. They may call it a license check or an insurance check, but there is K-9 unit there with a dog. They can walk the dog around you car and if he gets a hit, they can constitutionally detain, get a warrant, and search you.

The feds do it at immigration checkpoints on the Interstate highways, too.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

hmmm. well that is clearly unconstitutional.

i have only been searched entering the country from mexico.

if i was a drug dealer i dont think i would worry much about my car being searched. why would being a dealer make me any more likley to be searched than i already am, and i have never been searched in america.