DWI Checkpoint (Baton Rouge)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex_B, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

Man you are trying my patience this morning Mr. Hard Head McGee. I’m not saying you have a right to drive a car (although one could argue that you have the right to travel, thus the right to drive could exist but can still be regulated since such regulation would not completely burden your right to travel) I’m saying that you have an expectation of privacy. Is the expectation of privacy as great as it is in your car as it would be in your house…no of course not. However, it still exists. Hence why they cannot search your vehicle without probable cause.

Furthermore, I’m not saying that when your butt gets pulled over by an officer for speeding, or having a broken taillight, or just simply swerving a little, they shouldn’t check you then. I’m saying pulling you over randomly just to see if you are breaking the law is wrong.

Nope, those are ok…simply because you don’t OWN the airplane, courthouse, or other public places. You do OWN your car. By the way…did you know that they can’t just pull you of the street and pat you down for a gun or drugs without probably cause? To me it is the same thing…If you can’t randomly pluck individuals of the street to check if they are breaking the law why should you randomly pluck drivers off the road.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i guess.

quick story. when i was coming back from mexico in a suburban with my pals we were searched and the dog sniffed our car. the cops said "we know you have drugs, the dog is indicating". but the cops were straight up lying. we definitely did not and never had drugs. i lost my faith in cops that day. i wasnt aware that cops would lie like that. ****ers were just trying to get us to admit it. their dog wasnt indicating anything because we were completely clean.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

They will say they had probable cause if you do not consent. Then impound it. If you agree they bring the dogs and you are toast if you have anything.

Either way they will say they smelled pot and the judge will be fine with it. You will then need Johnny cochrans ghost.

4. Bud Lee

Well…yes and no. They still need a reason to impound the car, like you getting arrested. Then they will do what is known as an inventory search…but yes, the car is getting searched one way or another if they want it searched.

For example if they ask you to search it and you say no…they can call a K9 to sniff the vehicle, if the dog behavior gives them probably cause that is enough to go in.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hate the dogs because dogs cant talk. any idiot cop can just claim the dog is indicating. they should make dogs illegal.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yep thats what I was just saying. Thats their reasonable suspicion way around it. Or probable cause depending what state I suppose.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

aint you never heard jay-z 99 problems?

The year's '94 and my trunk is raw
    In my rear view mirror is the mother ****in' law
    I got two choices y'all pull over the car or (hmmm)
    Bounce on the double put the pedal to the floor
    Now I ain't tryin' to see no highway chase with Jay.
    Plus i got a few dollars i can fight the case
    So I...pull over to the side of the road
    I heard "Son do you know why I'm stoppin' you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low?
    Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'?
    "Well you was doin fifty-five in a fifty-fo' "
    "Liscense and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carryin' a weapon on you I know a lot of you are"
    I ain't steppin out of **** all my paper's legit
    "Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?"
    "Or somebody important or somethin'?"
    Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my ****
    "We'll see how smart you are when the K9 come"

8. Bud Lee

The fact that it is okay for them to straight lie to get results is my BIGGEST problem with the system. To me them lying is basically fabricating evidence to get a confession. Fabricating evidence to present in court would get them in trouble, but the courts give them a pass if they lie to a suspect…BULLSCHITE in my opinion.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah seriously i was like "i guess the dog smelled something". my friend was in law school at UT at the time. he was like "you are an idiot, cops lie all the time as part of their procedures".

10. Bud Lee

My issue with dogs is I have a right to confront my accuser and question him on the stand…how the FRICK am I going to examine a dog on the stand?

And I know...I know...you can put the dog's handler on stand. Like he won’t lie.