DWI Checkpoint (Baton Rouge)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex_B, Jun 16, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I know what you are saying but never agree to a search. If they have asked to search then they already have you profiled and are going to hassle you anyway. Never interfere with them, but never help them either. It doesn't matter if you are carrying or not, if you give them permission, you lose every constitutional right that you have.

They may tell you that they only want to look in your trunk, but if you have given them permission, they can get out electric screwdrivers and start taking your interior apart. They can haul out all of your vacation gear and spread it out all over the shoulder. They can tow your truck to a garage and take it completely apart. And you can't do chit about it.

If you deny them permission, they will try to do all of this anyway, but you never know. Some are just fishing and if you stand up to it and look like a waste of their time, they back off and find a more gullible fish. Sometimes the judge won't give them a warrant on a suspicion. If they search you anyway, any contraband is inadmissible and the cops themselves are open to charges. They have to be a lot more careful and toe the line if you jealously guard your constitutional rights. Never willingly give up a constitutional right. You are screwed if you do.

Don't be ugly, just adamant. Tell them that you can't give such permision without first contacting your lawyer, who will tell you not to give up any rights. If they had the right to search your car they wouldn't have to ask for permission.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Ron white has a funny bit where he said he was searched when getting off his private plane due to a tip he had drugs on it But he refused but let them bring the dog around the outside.

The cop then tells him the dog gave him a signal. White says no he didn't. I was staring right at him. He didn't blink woof or paw. What's his signal, a blank stare?

They then searched his plane. No drugs. Then they searched the bag on his shoulder which had 7/8s of a gram.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Oh Im right there with you. I wasn't advocating consent. I was just telling Martin they are going to do what they want to do. And you will need a lawyer if things don't go well.

4. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

The courthouse or airplane isn't my property, but my body is. My car is my private property, but the road isn't. In both cases, my private property is on property that isnt mine and I consented to their rules and how they enforce them, what's the difference?

If I don't want to be searched, I won't get a license and drive on public roads or I won't go on a plane. Drunk drivers and terrorists are both dangerous to innocent people; measures for deterring them isn't unconstitutional, just inconvenient.

Searching my car without probable cause is different cause whatever I'm carrying isn't a danger to the people driving next to me.

5. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

Are you really comparing a terrorist to a dude that had 2 – 3 beers with his pals at the titty bar? CA'MON MAN....that’s it...I'm given you the Martin treatment and responding to all your future post with a color from a crayon Box until you say something that isn't gibberish.

6. Bud Lee

So how about a bikini pic from your last bobbing trip...uhm..whats bobbing BTW? I have a feeling it is not what I think it is.

7. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

They both have the capacity to kill innocent people, and both checkpoints are deterrents to them. Not to mention the "my property on someone else's property" comparison I mentioned above.

Tirk compared a checkpoint to the cops kicking in your door and arresting you for having a lightbulb; I actually focused on his point and tried to argue my side. Giving up on your argument and posting crayon pictures is a suitable alternative I guess.

8. Bud Lee

THAT IS BULLSHCITE....I would of just responded by posting “Lilac” but that is the most absurd thing I have heard this month. You HAVE to be kidding. A drunk driver does not have the mens rea to kill a man when he gets behind the wheel. Dude just wants to get the FRICK home. He isn’t intentionally running into a crowed and blowing himself up with the intent to take out as many innocent bystanders he can.

Are you saying that when Mrs. Shane and Shane get in the car after bobbing (whatever that is) that they are really thinking, “I’m going to kill me some people.” That they are driving after having a couple because they are acting on their desire to inflict great bodily harm on the masses.

GET OUT HERE…

Names of colors sweet pot...not pictures of them.

I guess I could just argue stupid points and try to make them seem legit like you. However, typing names of colors is more entertaining, thought provoking and informing to the readers.

Example...

Razzle Dazzle Rose

See, I bet you at least one person is wondering..."I wonder what that looks like" and then they will go look it up and learn something.

9. Bud Lee

Too easy....

OIC...you just swim in the nude now...NICE. :thumb:

10. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

Capacity: #5 : the facility or power to produce, perform, or deploy : capability

You'd don't need intent. And yes, someone who is impaired while driving has the potential to kill someone, even if they intention is to "get the Frick home". I'm guessing you've never known someone that was killed by a drunk driver.

Maybe we should get back on the topic of why this is unconstitutional but other checkpoints, like metal detectors aren't.