Early Bird Special

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TUSKtimes, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

see above

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

And most would be hard press to live on the difference between the teams. Few things in life celebrate success as poorly as the college football fan. If the 2011 Alabama team had not made it to the NC game, Bama fans wouldn't allow themselves to compare that defense to other great Bama teams of the past, who have the same hardware. Thank you again, Okie Lite.

3. TUSKtimes

Then there could be the college football fan that celebrates too much. Why look elsewhere for comparisons. Alabama vs LSU part I and II would take that argument out of the abstract. Particularly "la segunda parte."

4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

5. TUSKtimes

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

tzanghi likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It'd be pretty hard to work for Shannon at Rivals now considering he sold it over five years ago.

Besides working for Athlon now, the last I heard he had a deal with XM Sirius as well.

Other than that, what this has to do with the 2001 Miami Hurricanes and its position in terms of great defenses? I haven't a clue.

As to what you're bringing up in your response:

Personally, I don't see citing eight ranked teams versus playing four ranked teams has bearing on which defense was better last season. It's a subjective argument in just about every light. The chances are very high if the teams switched schedules the results would still be what they are: very similar.

If we chose to use common opponents? Bama held those to about 60 yards a game (avg) less than LSU. On the other hand, LSU allowed six fewer points. Was Arkansas the same team in their first SEC game of the season versus their last SEC game of the season? No team ever is. LSU caught MSU as the first SEC contest. Bama caught them following the LSU game. Were the Bulldogs the same team in late November as they were in the middle of September? Perhaps they were better, perhaps worse.

Both teams fielded some great defenses—to that there is no doubt.

It's a subjective argument which isn't unlike Gall's rankings of which defense has been the best in the BCS era.

Winston1 likes this.
  8. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

I've noted that thus far Alabama plays a soft regular schedule especially when compared to USCw or LSU's on an average annual basis. The soft schedule added with your friends in Happy Valley who are your direct link with New York, New York and your boy ex star Joe Willie Namath who push your Alabama brandname through the national media's, with the likes of Reece Davis, like a cheap Christmas toy sold to the gullible kiddies. Coupled each year with referees like T. Ritter who give you a yellow brick road to travail with no penalties. Perhaps you recall Mister Ritter's no call in the infamous 2009 LSU/ALA game in Tuscaloosa in which Patrick Peterson intercepted a crimsontide pass, got his foot inbounds by at least two feet, and was called out of bounds? It was called out of bounds with minutes to go in the game preventing any slight chance LSU might drive score and win this critical game. With your level of crimminality no one will beat you regardless of who is the better team. I say to you "Alabama you have met nobody outside the deep south in a BCSNC game so far." Your system at best is rotten-corrupt as hell and you reek of organized crime IMO. Who you enlist to play for you is semi-pro talent based on the fact that your university illegally provides payments of illegal fiscal salaries to college athletes. You are all that is evil with college athletics.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

All I'm saying is the 2011 Alabama defense was not the greatest of all time. Good? Yes. Great? Yes, but I doubt the 2001 Miami team would've given up 21 points to Georgia Southern.

10. TUSKtimes

So you're taking the Larry Coker version and big, bad, Miami, running roughshod through the Big East. Personally, for my money, I liked the Miami talent and defenses of the dominate late 80's and early 90's. They whip the 2001 hurricanes. As you can easily see, the last thing such a conversation will ever come down to, is a definitive number one.