Early Bird Special

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TUSKtimes, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You've either missed, evaded, or simply ignored the point.

You have repeated what you've said earlier. I'll save the time and just ask, "will you read what I posted?"

I'll risk repeating one thing. When you look at the teams in common, the difference is around one yard per play. Eight ranks versus four ranked or common opponents, it still remains the same. They were both good defenses.

2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Right, my point was only that there is a clear, definitive not number 1.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You can look at stats and tell a lot about somethings. At the same time, you can take stats and tell two different stories.

It's been alluded to in this thread that the 2011 defense is the best in history for Bama. But, there are teams from several decades ago that put up better numbers. Is one better than the other? There's no way to tell because the playing field is so different from one era to another.

The 2001 Miami team could easily be claimed as the best defense Miami has ever fielded I suspect. After all, they are as closely to a "Johnny come lately" as we can probably point to in college football. It certainly was laden with NFL talent.

Reminds me of talking with Arkansas fans about Mallett and their claims he was the best QB in the SEC at that point because he was a NFL pro-typical college guy. What does one have to do with another?

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

But mainly because we are brothers from a different mother, who obviously chose different colors.

5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

So now youre tryin to convince us you have a mother. Stop derailing.

6. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

Brothers do not lie, cheat & steal for long with me.

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

You do realize, if you were from Tuscaloosa, you would be buying me Alabama season tickets? And yeah, you would be happy to drive, too, bro.

8. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I refuse to believe that if I were a neutral or even a 'Bama fan that I would think the 2011 'Bama defense was the best of all time. I still think Kirkpatrick is one of the biggest frauds of the last decade.

9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I wasn't trying to say that they're they best D of all time. They were just the first team that popped into my head that I knew was better than last year's Bama defense. I know a player's making it to the pros says nothing about how good they were in college and vice versa. To be honest, I don't think I'm qualified to make a statement about the best defense of all time in college football because I haven't been around long enough to see many.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'd disagree with your opinion on fraud and Kirkpatrick and that's not just because I'm a fan of the Tide.

When you have offenses avoid throwing in your direction there's a reason.

He was picked on a lot when he was playing as a frosh and sophomore. That said, if I recall correctly, the last time a pass went for a TD against him was Florida in 2011.

Offenses this season attacked two areas of the Bama secondary. The safety playing the Star position up until that personnel group was shifted and the RCB Belue. The vast majority of the time it was the safety.