easier on brady this year

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Aug 21, 2004.

1. inNickwetrust

inNickwetrust Founding Member

after watching a coach like larry brown having a tough time to succed with talent such as lebron carmello dwayne wade, stephon marbury tim duncan, watching that team earlier with all that athleticism, the great inside game but no shooting, who else here wouldnt have known the difference if you had put purple and gold jerseys on them, so this year if we have trouble shooting, i am going to try and be easier on brady because if larry brown cant get his team for the olympics shooting better, i seriously doubt brady can help a bunch of college kids shoot better

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Nice try, but the Brady bashers around here are a pretty determined bunch. You'd think we used to be a great basketball program here the way they carry on.
    LSU has enjoyed basketball success the way Tulane or the Saints have had football success. Once in a while they put a pretty good team together but it's never sustained. Our "glory years" when we put teams in the Final Four were flukes, proven by the way they were totally outclassed in the 1st round of the tournament. We had a decent NCAA tourney stretch under Dale Brown, but that's like bragging that your NBA or NHL team made the playoffs for several years running. Brady has done comparatively as good or better than any other coach in LSU basketball history. But, for some reason, the B-Bashers feel that we have some entitlement to a top basketball program when, in truth, it will never happen here.

It is what it is.

TigerEducated? Your move.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

You know I think you may be on to something.
    The only "fault" I have with Brady is his recruiting, really.
    Letting good Louisiana recruits get away and go to Texas Tech and other schools and
    we go after people like Whipple.
    I just think we could get a better recruiting class than we do sometimes.

I would have to agree with your post otherwise.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sourdough, look at our recent football recruiting successes. Why? An SEC Championship and a National Championship. The studs go to the top programs. Brady was getting the Whipples because the Duhons were going to Duke, et al. We were on probation. Why would the blue chippers come here? You can't put that on Brady.

Bring it on. Haven't had a good Brady thread in a while. :thumb:

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

LOL, I understand what your saying however last year we weren't on probation and
    some of those good recruits posted here got away.
    Why wouldn't at least 1 or 2 of them come to LSU since their families are from Louisiana and they could be close to home, how did we get Brandon and Big Baby then
    if this program is so bad and no one wants to come here.

I will give coach Brady a little advice, If we can't hit from the outside this year we need to have a run and gun team.
    When you look at the Utah game last year, when we were fastbreaking in the game we had a big lead and got easy baskets but when we went to the halfcourt offense
    we couldn't shoot and lost most of our lead.

As of last year this team was a run and gun type of team, I promise!

I promise to take it easy on Brady this year however!

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Saban didn't inherit a championship caliber football team he built it. LSU's football program was on self imposed probation under Dinardo as the # of players on the team had dwindled temendously. Most of Dinardo's top recruits played baseball or were ineligible for acedemic reasons. Why can't LSU have a basketball coach that could rebuild the team to at least SEC contenders and make it to the big dance more often than not? I'm not bashing Brady just asking why there are so many posts saying that those expectations of an LSU basketball program are too high.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

We were contenders last year until Lloreda left the team. Why was the football team not a contender in 2002. Saban had a couple of years to recruit a quarterback and some DL.
    Brady was supposed to be great because he signed a great freshman class. Yet, Saban signed two highly rated quarterbacks and neither could get on the field as freshmen. Wonder who would have that National Championship trophy if one of the freshman quarterbacks had been the starter last year?
    Maybe the reason that Saban couldn't recruit a quarterback was the reputation we had during the Dinardo years. Maybe the reason that Duhon and Moutons went elsewhere was because of the lack of scholarships and the reputaion developed during Browns last years.
    Almost all or the out of state Blue Chippers mention the National Championship as a reason for considering signing with the Tigers. It just takes a little time to change a reputation.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Comparing a freshmen QB and a freshmen basketball player is just plain dumb. Nobody can come on to the field and run a major college offense as a freshmen. Basketball is a different story. A great recruiting class in college basketball can lead to INSTANT success. LSU needs a new coach. Period. Brady isnt as bad as many people make him out to be, but neither is he a great coach who can lead the tigers to a championship. A good coach must be one of two things: a great recruiter who can bring in the talent, or a great teacher who can take mediocre talent and turn them into a good team. A GREAT coach, like Saban in football, is both of these things. This is what LSU needs to find, because Brady is neither.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Dumb? Does the name Chris Leak or Peyton Manning mean anything to you? In fact Tennessee has two true freshmen quarterbacks vieing for the starting job this year. I watched local sports news in Knoxville, TN today. They looked pretty good. They sure threw the long ball better than Mauck.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Rather porous defense at times (Arkansas, Kentucky, UT) and inconsistent quarterback play.