Edwards and His contract

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MALONE121212, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

Has anybody heard about Edwards not being able to get out of his contract until the Browns choose a new head coach? If this is the case we may get a different DC!

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The browns will announce they are hiring that Patriot Guy Crommel or whatever within the next few days, so I heard on ESPN radio about 1am last night...

Some sports guy said it so take it for what its worth, but if that is indeed true then should not be a problem.

Also cant he just quit ???

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

According to an article in todays Daily Oklahoman (1-13), Edwards was being pursued by both Miles and Gundy but, for whatever reason, "might not be available to either team". It also stated that Miles had told Bill Clay "to standby and not make any decision" as to his future and that "he may yet want him at LSU for his dc".
    Per Dandy Don this am, however, he says that Miles has completed his staff and Edwards is on it. So take it for whatever it's worth.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I thought NFL assistants couldn't interview for another NFL job until after the season? Doesn't that include the playoffs?

He may have a buyout to deal with if he just walks away from his contract ... don't know how that works for assistant coaches.

5. MALONE121212

ON a lot of other boards this is the hot topic of the day. I dont know if this is just talk or if this really could become a problem. I also read that Miles told Clay to hang tight this could really blow up in our face. Hope we hear Edwards is a done deal soon!

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Don't quote me, but I heard that the NFL had modified that rule because coaches like Crommel were at a disadvantage (real or percieved??) in applying for and interviewing for open NFL HC positions.

7. TigerWins

Yep, you are right ... just found this on NFL.com. Thanks.

The amendment to the Anti-Tampering Policy will apply in the upcoming playoffs. It permits a club with an open head coaching position to request permission to conduct one interview with an assistant coach employed by a playoff team when that club has a playoff bye or has a Wild Card playoff game. All such interviews would have to occur at a time and place convenient to the current employer and would have to be completed prior to the start of the divisional playoffs.

8. MALONE121212

Yeah but did the Browns interview the Pats asst? if not this could take weeks. I really thought we would have our staff completed by this weekend.

9. TigerWins

That's the big question ... guess we will find out this week. Cleveland has until Friday to get it done or wait until the Pats are done with the playoffs, which may not be until after the Super Bowl.

But, I'm still not clear on why they wouldn't release Edwards from his contract.

10. philter

philter Founding Member

Crennel definately interviewed with a team a few days ago, but I cannot recall which one. I think it was Cleveland...but all I remember for sure is that ESPN commented that the team that interviewed him was "blown away" by the interview. I'll try to dble check it, but I know he interviewed with one of the teams.