Electoral College Math

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I have been compiling data from polls in all fifty states and have created a running average of those polls. Most of what we see in the media are nationwide polls which are absolutely meaningless because we do not elect President's based on popular vote (though I wish we did). Below are my findings to date. Obviously, there is two and a half months until the election and anything can happen between now and then.

Solid Romney: Alabama (9 electoral votes), Alaska (3), Arizona (11), Arkansas (6), Georgia (16), Idaho (4), Indiana (11), Kansas (6), Kentucky (8), Louisiana (8), Missouri (10), Montana (3), Nebraska (5), North Dakota (3), Oklahoma (7), South Carolina (9), South Dakota (3), Tennessee (11), Texas (38), Utah (6), West Virginia (5), Wyoming (3)

Solid Romney Electoral Votes: 185

Solid Obama: California (55 electoral votes), Connecticut (7), Delaware (3), District of Columbia (3), Hawaii (4), Illinois (20), Maine (4), Maryland (10), Massachusets (11), Michigan (16), Minnesota (10), Nevada (6), New Hampshire (4), New Jersey (14), New Mexico (5), New York (29), Oregon (7), Rhode Island (4), Vermont (3), Washington (12), Wisconsin (10)

Solid Obama Electoral Votes: 237

This leaves 7 "swing" states: Colorado (9), Florida (29), Iowa (6), North Carolina (15), Ohio (18), Pennsylvania (20) and Virginia (13).

270 electoral votes are required to win the election. Based on the current math, romney would need to collect 85 of the possible 110 remaining electoral votes in order to win while the Presidnet would need only 33 out of the possible 110 remaining votes. Below is a listing of each of the swing states and a running average of the polling data from those states. I have compiled these numbers based on polling figures from realclearpolitics.com. Any of you are welcome to go there to verify my numbers.

Colorado: Obama 47, Romney 43 with 10 undecided
    Florida: Obama 46.7, Romney 44.7 with 8.6 undecided
    Iowa: Obama 46.5, Romney 43.5 with 10 undecided
    North Carolina: Romney 47.5, Obama 46.3 with 6.2 undecided
    Ohio: Obama 47.8, Romney 42.7 with 9.5 undecided
    Pennsylvania: Obama 48.4, Romney 41.6 with 10 undecided
    Virginia: Obama 46.5, Romney 44.3 with 9.2 undecided

Romney's chances of winning are slim to none unless something scandalous happens between now and election day. Furthermore, Obama has held these poll numbes through three months of poor employment data. As we head into the holiday season hiring will go up because of seasonal help which will only aid Obama's case that the economy is recovering.

Your thoughts?

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

My God I wish I had that kind of time on my hands.

Contained Chaos likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well thanks for wrecking my day. :D

Tiger in NC likes this.
  4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Romney has no chance. I don't even know why we are having an election. Obama is terrible, and will win the electoral college in a landslide.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

shocking that it will come down to ohio, florida, and pennsylvania again. Romney needs debates. Lots and lots of debates. Then he needs to get lucky in those debates.

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Seems like they would have had a debate by now. When do they usually begin?

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

just go to fivethirtyeight.com

and penn. is out of play.

getting petraeus as vp is interesting but not sure itll sway many undecided in the right states.

stupid romney screwed his only chance to stay in the race by saying the only honest thing he has said this decade---GM should go bankrupt.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have been telling you fuckbrains for years that this would be a landlside. stupid people vote stupid.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

"Fuckbrains" - man, that is awesome. I can't believe that I've lived for 34 years without hearing that or even thinking of it.

If by "lucky" you mean "suddenly becoming not the most boring speaker in the world", then yeah, I'd agree with you.