Eli Manning Staying...why?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TennesseeTiger, Jan 16, 2003.

?

What will staying in 2003 do for Eli Manning?

1. He'll take Ole Miss to the national championship game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He'll get pounded by the other SEC teams and end up going in the 4th round of the draft.

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. He'll have a great year but won't win any championships. Then he'll go first in the draft.

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Archie realizes that he and his boys are all over-hyped. He and Eli will never take Ole Miss to "th

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Eli Manning is staying at Ole Miss for his senior season. http://www.secsports.com/index.php?...nnel_id=&url_publish_channel_id=845&well_id=2 My question is...WHY? What can he prove? There's little chance he'll win or even play for an SEC championship. And if your SEC team doesn't play and win an SEC championship, it won't play for a national title. Just ask Tennessee. He's beaten Florida. He's beaten LSU in Baton Rouge (almost did it twice). I think I heard that he even graduates this May, so it's not to get the degree. I am guessing the only reason to do it is to increase his stock in the draft. But if he gets pounded like he did last season, he may do just the opposite. Or worse.

What do the rest of you think of him staying?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He needs another year in college to improve his status in the NFL draft. He is still a raw talent. Smart move for Eli, worth a lot of money if it improves him from a fourth-round to a first-round pick. Plus he doesn't want to be the first Manning not to be an All American. He wants another shot.

3. Herman Melville

Herman Melville Freshman

what about this?

In order to play devil's advocate, I read somewhere that Ole Miss will have 18 seniors returning next year. Even if they were mid tier to low tier last year, that's a lot of experience coming back. If they could ever establish even a remote resemblance to a running game, they could add some spice to the SECwest next year.

I was in Shreveport for the Indy Bowl and watched them. Their defense kept improving all during the season.

Like I said, with a running game and an improved defense, they could spice it up. That could make four contenders for the west, Albertbama and MSUx would be the ones left out. My best guess is still a battle between Auburn and LSU for the title.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

On a different player. I thought Roy Williams was nuts for not going. When you read his comments though you can see he loves college and is still a kid. Even though he ate LSU alive on Jan 1 i like this kid. He's got his head on straight, is not greedy, etc., etc.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0115/1493289.html

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Simple

It's simple. Manning is rated the third or fourth best quarterback if he would come out by most services which would put him middle to late first round. If he stays at Ole Miss for his Senior year, he will probably be the #1 quarterback in next year's draft which would put him roughly in the top 10 if not the top five. We are talking about serious money when you drop out the top 10 and you better believe that Archie will have a big-time insurance policy if he does not already.

6. msully

msully Founding Member

WHY?

I am not sure I know why but I like him more for staying . He signed to play for 4 years he is going to keep his word. Ole Miss has a year to look for another QB I do not think he has anything to prove he is a great QB like his brother and and his father Eli will play in the NFL . I still have my copy of Archie Who it is on a 45 I am getting old

7. VP-TIGER

VP-TIGER Freshman

Although I think the Mannings are good people, I really don't care if Eli or Peyton do to well. Archie should be ashamed for not sending one of his kids to LSU. He made his living in La. and got great support from the whole state. Everyone loved him even though he never won with the Saints. I don't want to say he owed it but come on. At least we should have gotten one them.

8. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I don't care that we didn't get one of them. I don't blame Peyton for going to UT or Eli for going to Ole Miss. What I can't stand is all the hype they get when there are other QBs out there that have done more. Archie, Peyton and Eli have never played for college championships. I doubt Eli will next year. A Manning has yet to win a playoff game. So, why are they hyped when there are more-deserving QB's out there? During the 2001 and 2002 LSU/Ole Miss games, Archie got more screen time than Nick Saban. I mean, how many times do I need to be shown a picture of a man sitting still with headphones on? Once is quite enough. I understood it a bit more in 2001 because Peyton was there, also.

I think there have been far-better QB's to play in recent years. In fact, the grumblings now are that Peyton may be making too many adjustments at the line and hurting the Colts somewhat.

Anyway, I'm getting off my soap-box now.

9. msully

msully Founding Member

Hey what is it ?

My friend have you watch the ball in flight it is not like mcnair of the titans by the way do you think the titans are super bowl bound ?

10. msully

msully Founding Member

I would not

I would not want my son to go to LSU as QB I would rather he go to OLE MISS or fla or UT a different kind of style of playing LSU needs a 320 pd QB one that can take a hit then drag the defensive line 2 or 3 yards then be able to throw the ball . No one owes any state anything if you father works for standard oil should you have to work there too ? Only if you want to . Until LSU gets the right line size means a lot we only need running qb"s who can throw off the run