Elite recruits are spurning top in-state schools more than ever before

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDad, Jan 24, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, since Les got here, he has consistently pulled in 45% of his recruits from out of state. I'd say we are recruiting nationally. Consequently, we are leaving a lot of in-state talent behind to get those out-of-staters. It's no wonder that other SEC schools are going after it. 44% of this year's early commits are from out-of-state. I like these numbers.

TigerTap, TerryP and LSUDad like this.
  2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The very site you linked has him in Tuscaloosa—but not listed on that particular page. Therein lies the reason I said you needed to double check your numbers and Yahoo! needed to do so as well.

Yes, he was at IMG last semester—he was down there for the football season. He's been back in Tuscaloosa for several weeks and he's finishing out his Sr. year at Tuscaloosa County.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Do you know off the top of your head how many states are represented in the class?

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

5, still a few more left on the board. Last year it was like 9 states if I remember.

TerryP likes this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Rivals says LSU doesn't have a football program...in case anyone was wondering why I feel it's one of the worst recruiting networks out there in today's age.

-------------

Thanks. I didn't think I'd have time to look (she's still getting ready...arrrggghhh)

Five isn't out of the ordinary for LSU. After looking, the kid from OK is about the only case I'd call "stepping out of the SEC footprint," right? And even then, it's just a few toes over the line.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The big LB out of IL? The last two years, we have gotten two of the top players in that state. Very rare.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LSU has been great the last few years at picking up missing pieces out of state. I think we can always improve that aspect.

I understand your point about Prince. Why didn't Stud go out and get his attention but the day Grimes was on the staff he was immediately visiting Prince? Shea on 247 said in meeting while the staff was discussing recruiting areas, Grimes said no matter what area I am assigned I am still going to visit every top OL in the country each year no matter where they live. That is great to hear.

As for Carter, LSU and Brick have been on him for a couple of years now. Same with Speaks but he never got the offer until recently so I can see some of your point there.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Coaches build relationships, starts early, builds from there. Grimes will do us well. Great hire.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I completely overlooked him when I glanced over Geaux247's list. My bad.

He looks like a hell of a pick-up. Is there any word on whether he's slated to play inside or outside? He's listed in two different positions depending on where you look (247 vs ESPN.)

Reminds me...jumping a state over, have you seen how UK is raiding Ohio this season? Along with KY, and OH, they've pulled kids from NY, MS, FL, GA, TX, and a couple of more states.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Michigan, California, Ohio, New Jersey, and Illinois are well out of the SEC footprint. Les has pulled kids from all of them.