Email Skip and Voice Your Displeasure.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, Jan 28, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

with playing cupcake teams in Tiger Stadium(ULL,Citadel,Utah State,Western Carolina) Teams like USC and Notre Dame are not afraid to schedule the big boys every year and look what happens to them. They play the best and still go to big name bowl games. Playing one cupcake team in a year is ok but we have 3 next year. ULM and Louisiana Tech, come on. Then we have Arizona. Hey I will give Skip this , at least the team is from a major conference(Pac 10). Is Arizona the best we could do for a big name team. And we still don't know who the opponent is in place of Marshall. We should play more non conference teams like VT last year. I, like many Tiger fans are sick of paying money to go to Tiger Stadium to see cupcake games. When you are up 48-0 in the 4th quarter and fans start to leave because the game is a blow out, now that is bad. I am not saying play all top notch teams and starting the season 0-3 but at least play 2 nationally recognized football teams in a season. Screw the 7 home games stuff if it hindering us from playing the best. Most good teams will only play a series if it is home and home. I would not mind making road trips to non conference games. Hell it would be cool to take good to some of the other top football stadiums in the country(Rose Bowl,Kyle Field,Michigan Stadium.) I hope something can get done quickly because I am starting to think they we are chicken and are afraid to step up into the big leagues.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's the economics, dude. You cannot "screw the 7 home games". Literally millions would be lost. Any big name opponent would demand at least a home and home and we'd end up with 6 or even 5 home games some years. As the elder Bush might say "Not gonna do it!"

3. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Playing better non coference oppents has it advantages, even if we loose a home game in the process. We will be getting more national attention if we play better teams. Not too much national hoopla over the LSU-ULL game. With more attention on us we could sell more LSU clothing and other products bearing our name and logo. We would get more from the licensing of new prodtucts. Secondly beat one or two good nonconference teams in a year can pay off in the end. These win could go along way in the bowl selection process. We would possibly have quality win points and the advantage come December. Better bowl games would constantly come our way with bigger payouts. Lets face it, we are not very nationally recognized in mainstream America. Teams like USC, Florida,Notre Dame, and Penn State get all of the national attention. We need to make a name for ourself and get national media exposer.

4. Being in the SEC I'm in no hurry to make our schedule any harder. We sometimes have trouble winning games as it is i.e. 8-5

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's what I meant to say. Good post TigerSaint.