.....Emerald Green and Lemon Yellow.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GiantDuckFan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

@shane0911

ha, now you've gone and done it,.. given me an excuse to tell you a little about "Animal House".

The filmmakers had trouble finding a college that would let them shoot the film on their campus, "nobody wanted this movie" due to the script; according to John Landis, "I couldn't find 'the look'. Every place that had 'the look' said, 'no thank you.',.. The University of Missouri was scheduled to be the college, but the University president refused permission to film there after reading the script.

The producers asked Oregon,.. the Director of University Relations advised the University President that the script,.. although raunchy and often tasteless, was a very funny spoof of college life. President Boyd agreed, he even allowed the filmmakers to use his office as Dean Wormer's.

The parade scenes were filmed in Cottage Grove a little town not far from Eugene. The sex scene on the football field was filmed in Autzen Stadium.

[​IMG]
    baby Autzen Stadium,.. 37k capacity

1977, I had just dropped out and was working, but still lived in student housing,.. One day my roommate tipped me off and we met and watched them film Belushi and the food fight scene for a while. Two of my best friend's roommates were in the movie, both had a couple of small lines, playing members of the enemy fraternity. Another friend, stood in his underwear in the fraternity hazing scene. I lived directly across the street from where Otter hit golf balls at the horse. It's always a blast for me to watch that movie.

In the background of the vid is our historic track and field stadium, World famous, 99 year old Hayward Field,.. which,.. will be totally demolished, razed to the ground in less than three weeks.

Oregon unveils new Hayward Field design - News - The Register ...

The U of O president said, "It will be nothing less than the finest track and field venue in the world"

the money's raised, estimated cost about $200 million, Uncle Phil rocks

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Kal-El012, furduknfish, Brian and 2 others like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That is great info duck, thanks for the knowledge . Love the movie!

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Haven't seen Animal House in years, but from what I remember about the football field scene, Autzen looked like little more than a glorified high school stadium back then.

Think I posted this in Little Known Facts, but Sarah Holcomb, who played the mayor's jail bait daughter, also played Danny's girlfriend Maggie in Caddyshack. The girl did a total of 4 movies in her whole career, and 2 of them were among the most successful comedies ever. She could pick 'em.

HalloweenRun and GiantDuckFan like this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

[​IMG]
    baby Autzen was little,.. and I've been to games there with fewer than 15,000 people,.. That certainly changed though. The stadium's been expanded twice, and they can squish 63K into it now.

We had a 17 year, 110 game sellout streak,.. which ended in 2016, the year the team crashed,.. til then there was increasing talk of expanding again. The entire new Autzen stadium and land cost $2.5 million in 1967,.. to add 15k seats now, $275 million.

[​IMG]
    9 months to build,.. they dug down, pushed dirt into a berm added landfill and voilĂ ,.. Autzen Stadium

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Brian likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That construction picture explains a lot...from what I remember from the movie,the stadium looked like it was built into a hillside.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. GiantDuckFan

[​IMG]
    a major flaw was drainage, the field was many feet below the surface of the river, and needed sophisticated pump systems to get it to drain at all, to help with that, the field had the most god-awful crown I've ever seen,.. it was a big home field advantage though, our QB was used to it, but their's missed on a lot of passes.

The drainage problem was solved and the field was made flat in the 2010 stadium expansion. The expansion changed the stadium's acoustics though,.. the smaller pre 2010 stadium was louder, man, it would really rock

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Hard to believe since it looks so much less, capacity-wise. How many seats?

EDIT: Googled it. 54K.

8. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Duckman....let's get back to lady pics:D. What cha got for us?

9. GiantDuckFan

[​IMG]

Q: What do you get when you cross a beaver with a ground hog?
    A: Six more weeks of bad football

[​IMG]
    that's after the expansion,.. Autzen at it's loudest had a listed capacity of 41,000, (though standing room only crowds of 47k were the norm), the stadium was dug into the ground and shaped like a bowl, it seemed as if the sound was trapped, and kept growing louder as it circled the stadium,.. it was quite an experience to be there.

During the last major reconstruction in 2002,.. only the South side of the stadium was expanded,.. lt really changed the acoustics, when the North side is rebuilt, maybe Autzen will regain it's old form and become louder than ever. 75,000 people could make game day seismic.

Bring on the hucking fuskies,.. Quack !

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    LSUTiga likes this.
  10. GiantDuckFan

@ehusson80
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you're gonna wanna turn the sound down,.. them's some cute beavers though

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Winston1, el005639 and ehusson80 like this.