Enjoying the fruits of our labor...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Feb 26, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agreed.

And, I also think there is a real difference between 4 and 5 seed. When you look at the numbers, not only do more number 5 seeds get upset (relative to other high seeds) but I think that every higher seeding helps LSU at this point.

I'm not sure the Tigers could get a number 2 seed, personally. I guess if the Tigers win out and sweep the SEC tourney, they deserve to move up to a number 2. But, that's not the goal IMO, b/c statistics also show that conference tourney winners generally have let downs in the NCAA tourneys. I'd much rather see us win our conference, play the tourney well but not necessarily win, end up with say a 3 seed in the NCAAs, and get through a few rounds there.

2. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Hey gumborue:

What are you referring to under your name? Just curious!

bad football. good beer.

Is it that you are in Oregon and you hate the football but like the beer?

Tell me please...

3. clair

clair Rockets

you dont know a lot about the NCAAs I can see...

5 seeds play Big East bubble teams, CUSA bubble teams...

Really solid squads who probably have several quality wins against top 20 teams that got them in

the 13 seeds are the best "small conference" winners...

I'd rather see a small conference winner than a bubble team like Arkansas or UAB

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

bingo

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

no teams play road games. all play neutral with some being "home" games because they are so close to home.

a quick search found this 2002 article mentioning protected seeds. i dont think this has changed

"This year's selection committee chair Lee Fowler says teams can be moved one line on seeding charts to facilitate more teams staying near home, among other reasons. Top-five seeds will be protected so they don't have a home-court disadvantage against low seeds. But the intention is to give all teams a chance to play near home."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/basketball/men/02tourney/2002-03-08-focus.htm

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i realize the typical difference between 12 and 13 seeds. of course id prefer lsu to be a 4 seed rather than 5, but i dont think the difference between 4 and 5 is as great as between 3 and 4. for two main reasons, 4 and 5 play each other if they get past the first round so its the same (if both advance to round two), and the 4/5 winner plays a 1 seed. there is often a big difference between a 1 and 2 seed.

i could also argue that this LSU team would do better against a more athletic but less skilled/disciplined team than against an experienced skilled and smart small conference winner.