ESPN article on the situation

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sourdoughman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I couldn't find this here but if someone already posted this let me know and I will delete it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1948666

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1948426

Look at what I found
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    And the reason is that Miami needs time, probably through the weekend, to interview at least one minority candidate. And, we hope, a viable one, although we are hard-pressed to divine how the Dolphins can complete that task.

Which brings us back to the issue of timing. And to the even bigger element of qualified candidates, beyond Saban, for the Miami vacancy.

We certainly don't subscribe to the theory that the league is bereft of estimable minority candidates. Not with veteran assistants such as Romeo Crennel, Greg Blache, Jimmy Raye, Terry Robiskie, Jerry Gray, Tim Lewis, Maurice Carthon, Donnie Henderson and others gainfully employed by NFL franchises. The snag is that the league's anti-tampering rules preclude Miami from seeking out those men until the 2004 season concludes.

That's three more weeks and, take this one to the bank, Saban isn't going to allow things to drag out that long.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Interviewing Art Shell would not be considered tampering.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I didn't mean that interviewing Art was tampering.
    At any rate the NFL should change their rule, aren't these minority candidates
    at a disadvantage since they can't be interviewed in these type of situations
    until after the season.

Then again everyone knows this is just for show and tell.
    How many candidates have to be interviewed, do some have to be assistant
    coaches today? I guess not.

I think I read this paragraph wrong to start, I thought they would have to interview some of these minority coaches after the season.
    Its not like Art Shell has been in the league lately.