ESPN being investigated

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by edyel, Jul 2, 2004.

1. edyel

edyel edyel

by the Justice Dept. I hope they rip 'em a new one. I used to really like ESPN but got NO use for them now. ESPN INVESTIGATION: The Justice Department antitrust division has opened an investigation into how ESPN utilizes its college football and basketball programming. The investigation may examine warehousing-the practice where the network televises only a small portion of the games it has acquired from a conference, then restricts the conference from making deals with any other TV networks. (Orlando Sentinel) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :usaflagwa :usaflagwa :usaflagwa :usaflagwa :usaflagwa :usaflagwa

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Interesting bit of news. As a sports fan I enjoy ESPN because obviously it is THE place for sports coverage. On the other hand, finding a likeable personality on ESPN is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

It is unfortunate that ESPN has the sort of dominant presence that it does because a bit of healthy "competition" is good. Fox Sports tries but does not really compare, quite good on regional sports shows though.

3. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

I love ESPN......just don't love their college football opinions...

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

ESPN is a mixed bag, I hope they lose out and we get other channels like fox sports.
    I would like to see more sports coverage for the consumer such as college basketball
    and baseball shown on tv.
    More LSU sports coverage in basketball and baseball would be nice.

I'm outraged that as good as LSU has been in baseball you don't see them shown on
    tv like you do in other sports.
    If it was football or basketball you would see us or Duke there.
    I couldn't believe when LSU played Alabama in basketball I couldn't get the game on
    tv with every sports package in the world.
    That was a pretty important game at the time.

5. Poodlebrain

Poodlebrain Freshman

ESPN's Influence

ESPN is out to make money. And to do so they will hype their own product at the expense of the competition. Given that they broadcast Big Ten games weekly, and their affiliate ABC does likewise, they tend to favor Big Ten schools and players. No offense to Charles Woodson, but he won the Heisman because ESPN ran the Woodson highlight show on every edition of every show they broadcast about college football his senior year. Whether it was Game Day or Sportscenter you knew you were going to get the Woodson highlight package.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like Harold Reynolds and uh, uh, well, I can't think of any others.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Lee Corso is the man...

8. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

No love out there for Tony Kornhiesher (sp) and his overly exaggerated rants about everything. Kinda of comical most of the time not sure about his substance but entertaining.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We all know how much everybody here loves Trev Alberts. :cry: :po: :cuss: :( :bncry: :mad: :angryfire :eek: :sob: :shock: :dis: :cry:

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

We get to hear from our boy Trev in 62 days. :champs: