ESPN being investigated

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by edyel, Jul 2, 2004.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Lets not forget about Beano Cook!

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Their promotion of Woodson for Heisman was sameless, a few years ago, and should be investigated.

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We can't wait to hear what that car-washing fag has to say :hihi:

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Boy, Did we ever make him look like a fool last year.
    He was looking for every reason in the book to change the subject when
    LSU came up.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's because college baseball isn't big across the country as football and basketball is.

Only in the south and out west, are college baseball programs more than a "drain on a school's athletic budget".

SEC schools, Big XII schools, PAC-10 and some of the Big West schools are just about the only conferences/teams that really make money by playing baseball (most baseball teams in the northern schools are funded and supported by their football and basketball teams).

That's evident with the lack of internet coverage found on college baseball. ESPN, cbssportsline, etc. all have sections dedicated to men's and women's college basketball and football, but NOT baseball and softball. Or if they do, it's just scoreboards--no team pages, etc, and the ones that do exist seem to take forever to update during the season.

This is probably the first year that the CWS was covered to the extent that it was. In year's past, usually it was only winner's bracket games and the finals that were aired nationally (without the aide of pay per view). This year, almost all of the games were broadcast on the national level--and I thought that was great! Of course, I love college baseball, so perhaps I was a little biased by what I perceive to be a positive spin on college baseball coverage.

I didn't realize how little college baseball meant to the over-all appeal of college sports on a national level until I moved out of the south :( and up to the Northeast (where college HOCKEY takes the place of baseball as a 2nd-tier fan-favorite sport and Lacrosse moves ahead of women's softball).

I went to a few BC baseball games--just cause I figured that since they were ACC and teams like Miami, Virginia, NC State, and FSU are pretty solid, I thought it would be pretty good but...... NOPE. A grand total of 53 people (hand counted personally by myself--umpires included) were there on a sunny Saturday afternoon to watch college baseball.

I was actually amazed that BC was ONLY a couple of games under .500 on the year because they hand a few players that looked like they had no business being on the field--let alone on the team. I mean, I haven't played baseball since my Jr. year of high school, and I almost felt that I could get on the field and do just as good, if not better, than some of those players. But it didn't matter, because the only people in the stands were the parents. No one cared about college baseball up here.... :nope:

6. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

I don't think BC is moving to the ACC untill next year. Even then I'm sure it will take a while before their baseball program takes off if ever.

Will BC be playing Hockey with another conference?

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Whoever says Woodson won because ESPN had a vested interest in promoting the Big 10(11), I say that's a type of misnomer...I think it had much more to do with the sports media at large...

Tennessee was the behemoth, the gargantuan team that had dominated the headlines even while Nebraska and Florida were winning titles in Peyton's previous SEC seasons...

In other words, they were "the favorites"...and what does America like observing more than anything? Not watching Mike Tyson totally obliterate the heavyweight division and totally decimate anything appearing close to a challenger? No...We liked watching him get knocked out by Buster Douglass in Tokyo on a rigged long count, and then get locked up for rape...We watched him come out and rise up into a gigantic bout with Holyfield in which most gave Evander no shot...We didn't like watching Mike get back up off the mat and reach the pinnacle again...We liked watching him bite Holyfied's ear off....

We like watching favorites fall...and the media propogates this onto us...They saturate and litter the media landscape with so much positive and hype and overblown adulation that there's nothing left after a while but to tear down the idol they've created...

That's what happened with Peyton...Everyone knew he deserved to win...Everyone...But, the media didn't want it to happen, because they wanted a story, and they were tired of the one they had been hyping up for three years beforehand...

ESPN didn't want to promote the Big 10 anymore than the SEC, because the SEC games have always generated more ratings and been placed into the Saturday Night Prime Time slot on their network much more prevalently than any other conference...I think that's an excuse...

The real problem is the media...outlets like the New York Times in its quixotic charge against Augusta National a few years back...The media saturates the market with look-alike stories...everyone saying the same thing, only rearranging the paragraphs...

Eventually, the only thing left to do is waylay the mountain you've built up and reduce it to the molehill it once was...

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Sorry...what I wanted to say was "BC was part of the Big East".... Sorry.

BC participates in Hockey East--there's no hockey in Big East and ACC.