ESPN "Experts" early rankings...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that's like saying au's offense will be in just as good of shape after losing caddi, ronnie and jason campbell.

which name did you even know that was returning on their defense? any?

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I don't think Maisel has liked LSU, at least not since the tail end of the 2003 season.

Really, a guy identified as a main analyst for a specific sport for the world's largest sports media company shouldn't allow his petty, subjective prejudices to color his (supposedly) objective assessments of his sport.

LSU. 18th. Seriously, Ivan, you're embarassing yourself.

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I am not sure where you get that connection between their defense and offense.

You said Auburn's D was looked to be bad last year....I am asking who said that....they lost some good players but returned quite a slew of good ones...I could have named Rogers, Williams, and Rosegreen...if I said anymore I would be lying.

Florida loses easily their best player and leader....two main players in the secondary and another MLB in Harris (I think thats it)....to an already horrible (imo at least) defense.

4. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Most rankings are simply senseless & void of logic.....

Any ranking that has Tennessee, Florida, and UGa ranked ahea of LSU are ignoring the fact that all 3 of these teams play in the same SEC East division and 2 of them UF and UT play LSU as well. When teams match up against each other, one wins and one loses. There is virtually no chance of 3 SEC East teams playing each other and remining ahead of LSU in the rankings.

Regarding Florida, they are the most over-rated team in the nation this year.
    the media has apparently jumped on the Urban Meyer bandwagon.
    That guy has accomplished nothing against SEC caliber competition and has inherited a florida team which has limited talent, particularly in the trenches and at LB. UF is more than likely looking at a 6-5 or 7-4 type season and
    anyone who buys into the Florida hype is just setting himself up for a letdown.

LSU on the other hand is going to really surprise some people. LSU's OL will be one of the best in the nation, has a wealth of quality RBs, and LSU will be able to run the ball on virtually anyone. Anyone doubting Les Miles and the staff he has assembled in Baton Rouge is simply choosing to look for a negative. LSU will be very strong next season. No doubt about it.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

why is it so absurd for someone to think LSU would be #18 overall? 2-3 losses at season's end and that's about right.

unless you think we're going undefeated I don't quite get it.

I think anyone without ties to LSU will think 18 is a reasonable guesstimate even if they don't necessarily agree with it.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Re: Most rankings are simply senseless & void of logic.....

Well, rankings this early aren't necessarily meant to be where the team will end up, rather which team is best at this particular point.
    I really don't think anyone is questioning LSU's talent. The fact is, nobody is sold on Les Miles' coaching ability. If Saban had stayed, we'd be EASILY top 5 right now on everybody's list. The talent is there, Miles just has to prove he knows how to use it.

7. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Ivan has Auburn at 7 after they lose some of their best players and LSU which returns most everybody at 18. Does'nt make sense to me. But I am not the expert that he is.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

His name is Ivan. Surely he's a communist.

After we beat Az State and Tennessee, things will return to normal.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Soon after our NC in 2003 I learned to ignore what these "experts" have to say...

10. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

Yep. Tuberville even said after the 2003 season that the 2004 defense would be better than 2003 one...dude knows what he's talkin about. :)

And no way Auburn is #7. I think he's giving us credit for going 13-0 with a boat load of first round NFL players. In reality I think Auburn is in more of the high teens, if not low twenties...just too hard to come back with what all we had last year. We'll be good but not 13-0 good.