ESPN "Experts" early rankings...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Apr 21, 2005.

1. JKIII

JKIII Founding Member

After reading this earlier...I did not really care what Maisel's opinion (Not a true EXPERT Optinion IMO). After going through other sites...on our strengths and weaknesses, it its only an opinion...but we DEFINATELY need to get OUR opinions ranked a little higher than 10% of the pollsters...goto and spread our support. We do not have a QB situation...just a nice little stable. Our receivers are phenomenal and who else has the depth in the backfield we have?
    :geauxtige

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=1307

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that's a valid point. I just hope Les displays the same class throughout as he has thus far and not be a pompous ass example that trickles down to his players just in case we ever go undefeated. I don't wanna be left out of a NC game because of that. But when was the last time something like that happened.

3. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

That's a valid point also. I will guess that happened in 2004/5. And while he might be a pompous ass, he's our pompous ass.

Miles is saddled with some high expectations. I don't know whether he is a great coach or not, but I hope he gets a fair shake if he goes 9-2 or 8-3 this year. But I think that he will be crucified on this and other forums if that happens. The schedule and talent is too much in LSU's favor for anything else to happen.

4. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I think that LSU fans are level-headed enough to realize that Miles should simply focus on winning the SEC West and look at anything beyond that as gravy.

Meanwhile, in the SEC East, there are going to be tons of disappointed fans who all thought that their team was going to be a lock.

LSU fans should be happy that Miles is not being strapped with the same level of insane media hype that Urban Meyer is experiencing.

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy the rights to, " FireUrbanMeyer.com ?" :hihi:

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

If he gets us to Atlanta, he gets a fair shake. If not, you are right, he will be crucified.

6. tirk

maybe you should pay closer attention. people are complaining about the "low" 18th ranking because of insane expectations, you included. to EXPECT a new coach to be top 5 is not irrational given LSU's situation but to assume it should be automatic is crazy. Whether the polls create their own expectations is mutually exclusive to the majority of our fanbase who apply more than enough expectations and pressure themselves whether its deserved or not. Many truly feel anything more than one loss is a failure.

I wouldn't want to be held to those expectations at my job, much less my first year.

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Check out some Auburn expectations tirk :hihi:

HeMan4Au
    (4/19/05 7:28:41 pm )

WE COULD GO 6-0 INTO LSU AT DEATH VALLEY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!!!!

QUESTION: WILL JAMARCOUS RUSSEL BE A FACTOR, CAUSE I HONESTLY THINK HE SUCKS.

Barrettaub
    South of St. Somewhere
    (4/19/05 7:31:06 pm )

Re: WE COULD GO 6-0 INTO LSU AT DEATH VALLEY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That would make for an intresting game.

Jamarcus Russell will be a factor...for an Auburn victory. I have a feeling he will get to know "The Predator" very well by the end of the game (he might shake hands with our secondary quite a few times as well).

Tomahawk Talk.com

SiriusGlass
    (4/19/05 7:31:13 pm )

I'll go on to say we will be 6-0 at that point.

sghigh
    (4/19/05 7:46:12 pm )

JJ, you may need to focus on tech, but you sure as hell don't need to worry about them. Y'all will beat them soundly, trust me.

AUTigerGrad
    (4/19/05 8:09:43 pm )

We SHOULD be 6-0 going into Baton Rouge.

AUREIGN
    (4/19/05 8:10:51 pm )

And we will go out of Death Valley 7-0.

8. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I love Miles and even with a at worst 3 loss season....I would continue to stand by the man.

But, if LSU does lose 2 games, this site and many of my LSU brothers and sisters will call for his head. People will use Nick Saban's name and say he would have won another National Title....blah blah blah....I pray that Miles wins the West and/or SEC and keep people at bay

9. tirk

agree.

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I don't pity him at all. He's a smart guy, a big boy. He knows what he's gotten himself into here, no question.

I'd think any HC worth his salt who's inheriting a team loaded with talent and with a favorable schedule would expect to win. Les Miles doesn't strike me as a guy who'd want or care for people making excuses for him before the first snap of the first game of the season takes place.

Besides, excuses are for guys like John Brady and his apologists, and Coach Brady uses up enough of the overall "LSU coach excuse quotient" for all the rest of the coaches combined.