ESPN (Len Pasquarelli) Absolutely Blows it...Yet Again....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Apr 27, 2004.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

If someone had misspelled Anthony McFarland's name back in 2000, I wouldn't have worried about it much. After this season, when we were continually picked to lose and trashed, I am somewhat more sensitive about things like this.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I completely understand that...I just think this "not getting respect" has nothing to do with that. For that mistake to happen, you would have to believe Pasquerelli is not respecting Oklahoma or LSU...which is highly doubtful...

3. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Buddy D still thinks Dante Stalpepper plays for the Saints.

4. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

Mark Clayton, previously of the Miami Dolphins. Used to be Marino's favorite target.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

One thing is for certain....Mel Kiper would never even mispronounce it much less publish it wrong. That guy knows where 100,000 of these athletes went to jr hi and elem school, what they ate for breakfast and how much. There is a difference in professionalism for some as opposed to others. I don't think Pasquarelli's faux pas is that big of a deal but it just magnifies the difference in some sports 'experts'.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Trust me, Kiper has come LIGHT YEARS from where he once was...For him, it used to be all about what he heard from people at the combine, and the sheer combine results themselves...

Nowadays, he's doing GameDay live each and every Saturday, and he watches every televised game that's on-all freaking day-while he's on the radio. He gets the stats, crunches the numbers, and travels with the GameDay Crew (They broadcast live from their remotes), so he also gets face time with coach's across America.

Once upon a time, though, Kiper was a know-nothing...and it showed. His early years were pretty rough. ESPN gave him a lot of rope, and he damn near hanged himself a few times.

Also, as for Sasparilla, who cares? Hell, did you see the interview with Eli Manning when they asked him about being booed? He mentioned LSU-SPECIFICALLY. This kid's greatest achievement as a football player, and he is thinking of us!

Later that night, they put Cutcliffe on with a writer from NYC, as well as Stuart Scott on SportsCenter for a 3-way discussion about whether Manning was worth what the Gaints handed over and whether or not he'll make it in the NFL.

Scott asked the writer about Eli in the pressure cooker, and the writer basically said, "New York is NOTHING compared to where this kid was. Football is a religious experience in the South, and he was in the epicenter for 5 years out in SEC territory."

He basically scoffed at Scott for the suggestion...and then Cutcliffe cuts the issue, point blank...he asks Stuart Scott...

"You ever been to Baton Rouge?"

I LOVE IT!

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep heard the eli and cutcliffe interview. also, yes, Kiper was just a computer spitting out numbers .... a rainman is what i always called him. Now he 'knows' football and still the players through and through. Probably more than we will ever know. I like Jaworski also...he know those intricacies of a QB and what it takes to be a successful WR with a different approach. Both of these dudes are hyper as hell and truly love what they do...and it shows. The gameday bit on radio every weekend from football games to the now recruiting bit is by far, the best radio to hear for me. I always try to tune in if i can. kiper's info is unmatched usually.

8. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Jaworski has the knowledge from his past as a QB, but he also gets tape that most of the "lay" sportscasters don't get...Which is to say the "video department" tape that every NFL team produces to exchange with other teams...You know, those high angle ones that show the entirety of the field and how it develops...

When you get those kinds of shots, and you break the tape down play by play, it truly is as simple as Jaworski makes it at times...But he still brings a lot to the table...