ESPN Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by greg9476, Feb 28, 2006.

1. greg9476

greg9476 Founding Member

ESPN has the mock draft up, and after a couple of scenarios they have Tyrus going either 3rd or 4th. I know Bass talked to all of them about his experience with the draft. But, if Tyrus knows he will be top 5, do you think he leaves? I hope not.

2. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

There is no way TT is a top 5 pick. No disrespect, but he isn't the best player on our team

3. greg9476

greg9476 Founding Member

I totally agree with him not being even the best player on our team. I just hope he doesn't let things like this go to his head and make a mistake like Bass did. He has potential to be a great player in the NBA, but I think he needs a little more time in college to solidify his game.

4. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

Well, as noted here and basically everywhere, the NBA doesn't really draft on current ability, development and accomplishments, it drafts on potential. Otherwise, Brandon Bass (last year's SEC POTY) and Glenn Davis (this year's likely POTY) would not be afterthoughts while Thomas is considered a top 10 pick whenever he comes out.

I hope the interview he did a couple of weeks ago where he very decisively stated that he would be back, wanted to return with this group etc. holds true. Swift proved in 2000 that February intentions mean nothing when May/June roll around.

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

He may not be the best player now, but he has the most NBA potential.

6. train

train Founding Member

Last year North Carolina had Sean May and Raymond Felton. The sixth man on the team was Marvin Williams. Williams went #2 in the draft and he didnt even start. I agree Tyrus needs to stay and no maybe not top 5, but for sure top ten. When people compare what Bass did last year to Tyrus this year, thats not a comparison. Tyrus's upside is way better than Bass's is/was. Plus Tyrus is exactly what the NBA teams want a 6'9 long guy that can run, jump, and has a lot of room and time to develop his game and his body. No Tyrus is not the best player on the team and he is not even the 2nd best player on the team, but when Tyrus is 25 he will be better than Glen and D-Mitch they are both almost maxed out (potential wise).

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Ultimately, it's TT's decision, but at least he's saying the right things--the last I read/heard about his feelings about the NBA draft was that he feels there are aspects of his game that needed to be fine tuned. Now, whether or not he's just talking-the-talk is yet to be determined...but at least that's what he was saying.

On a hunch, I think he stays for at least one more season...

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I think he and big baby stay for one more season. I agree with everyone that the NBA drafts on potential, which has really destroyed college bball over the past 10 years. It really is a shame to look back at who was drafted over the past 10 years and see a bunch of great players going straight from high school to the draft and not even getting drafted. Also the ones that do get drafted that never do learn to play the game.

IMO, the only difference between the modern NBA and street hoops is that the NBA plays indoors.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that's a common phrase repeated by many but i disagree. i see a lot of good teams and more parity making basketball as exciting as ever for everyone with a vested interest.

while it would be good to have all the stars back, it hurts the NBA much more than college.

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Throw in the fact that the NBA is so "watered down" now..and by that I mean there are simply too many teams. I remember in the '80's (mid to late '80's that is), being able to pretty much name the starting 5 of just about every NBA team. Back then, championship clubs had to have multiple All-Star caliber players in order to win it all...now, there are more teams, more players, the need to raid the college ranks increases because of the need for more players to fill out rosters and the bottom line is that a team with one super star can win it all.

You simply don't see any more teams like the Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parish, Dennis Johnson), Pistons (Isiah, Rodman, Laimbeer), TrailBlazers (Terry Porter, Drexler, Kersey, Cliff Robinson), Lakers teams (Magin, Jabar, Worthy), Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Paxon, Horace Grant) of the '80's/early '90's. Now...you're lucky if you could name 2 players from teams that are consistant All-Stars ...or in the cases like Memphis and Charlotte--2 players that are even house-hold names!

The more teams the NBA has, the more likely they are to steal players that 15 years ago, wouldn't even be considered "ready"..