ESPN's Bowl Picks

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chase4LSU, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Pat Ford predicts LSU over Penn State, 21-16

Link: Dash through the 2009 bowl season and find out which teams will win - ESPN

Direct Quote:

Capital One Bowl

Penn State vs. LSU
    Jan. 1, Orlando, Fla. (ABC, 1 ET)

Why to watch: To see whether LSU coach Les Miles (27) calls for a quick kick with his team trailing by two in the final seconds. And to see whether the Nittany Lions can dispel The Dash's season-long belief that they're vastly overrated.

Who's happier to be there: Penn State. The warm weather should be good for Joe Paterno's joints.

Moderately useful Dash fact: LSU doesn't protect the passer well, giving up 35 sacks this season. Penn State has sacked the quarterback 35 times. Memo to Jordan Jefferson: duck.

Completely useless Dash fact: Paterno still has 11 seasons to go to match Eddie Robinson's 55 as a college head coach.

Dash pick: LSU 21, Penn State 16.

I think this is very possible, and it's good to see us get some praise, despite another reminder of clock management.

What do ya'll think?

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i think forde was the guy that dismantled miles after the ole miss game.

also i thought we gave up more sacks than 35. i could be wrong on that one.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

FYI, I think we blow Penn St out, see Miles bowl record for references.

4. Chase4LSU

One of Miles' strong points is getting the team ready for a bowl game. While we've made a few teams regret the invitation, I keep thinking that one day a team will play us in a bowl game and actually come close to beating us, making the game a defense war with us being the well-bloodied victors. Still, I am hoping to make the old man scratch his head on that day:thumb:

5. Chase4LSU

I thought so too. Main thing is we gave up too many. Given Miles' bowl record, I think that problem might be remedied:geaux:

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i didnt read any "praise"

i think too many tiger fans are putting too much value in clm's 4-0 bowl record. i suppose you can always find caveats but these are too big ---ND and Miami were severely overmatched and the win over OSU was a NC team.

7. Chase4LSU

Only praise I'm refering to is the fact that they're calling us to win. Small deal, I know, but still

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

CFN is, on average, picking LSU to win, but with low confidence.

Fiu Rich Matt Mich Clucko PICK
    1/1 CAPITAL ONE LS PS LS LS PS LS
    LSU vs. PSU -2.5 6 21 8 18 1 12
    ATS Confidence 6 32 17 32 28 -5

9. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

As an LSU lifelong, diehard, never despair, fan,,,,,,here's the Pennsylvania take on the game. PennState fans KNOW, at least all that I've talked to in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas, that to stay in the game with LSU will be a plus on PSU's resume.
    I've lived here for a little while and my friends here know I'm an LSU alumni and diehard fan. Almost all KNOW they can't win this game. However, they do feel they can give a respectful showing. Me personally? I'm not sure. I hope it is a good game. However, I won't be surprised if LSU just blows them out of Orlando. If recent history is any indicator, We'll kill PSU. And no matter what you guys in BatonRouge think, LSU is a dominator in most all facets of the game when it's not a conference contest. LSU fans have gotten used to high caliber games due to being in the SEC. But you need to look at reality,,,,,,,,PSU ain't the SEC. Nice that you're giving PSU the respect, but honestly,,,,,,they ain't got a prayer.

1 person likes this.
  10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Went to go pay my water bill the other day, and the clerk, noticing my hat and sweatshirt, asks if I'm a Tigers fan. He is a big tOSU fan and alum. I was surprised by his comments about our Tigers. Appears he loves college football and has had the opportunity to watch our Tigers on several occasions. He was very impressed with LaFell and Tolliver, and said that our QB, Jefferson, had done a pretty good job for his first full yr, and that you can see the kid is going to be special. Commented that the speed on our defense is sick and that he wished that tOSU had those types of athletes. Commented that with the exception of the dumb move during the Ole Miss game, that Coach Miles is a really good coach, and always seems to have his teams prepared. His prediction was that LSU should have no trouble with PSU, that our athleticism and speed would be too much for PSU to handle.

Funny what a real neutral fan would think of our Tigers. I kinda laughed to myself, and made the comment that I wish he could hear what some LSU fans think.

1 person likes this.