European Mounts

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Mar 28, 2016.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

jval, I need some assistance on this. I want to save the head of the big turtle I caught. I have one from last year that I later found and it's not bad. It was just left outside and nature did it's thang.

I want to expedite the process on this one. What would you recommend? Also, do you paint your deer heads white after it's all said and done?

2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Never done a turtle but process can't be that different. Cut off as much skin and meat as you can then low simmer(not boil) for 3-4 hours then start pulling it out and scraping on it. If meat doesn't come off easy then back in the pot. Gotta get brain stuff out too of course which on a deer I get all that out before boiling not sure how it'd work on a turtle just gotta start messing with it I guess. Once it's clean let it dry over night then yes I just paint mine with indoor outdoor semi gloss white spray paint. Much quicker and cheaper than peroxide plus won't brittle the bones

LSUTiga likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

Thank you. I'll let you know how it turns out when I do it. Turtle is still alive right now.

4. LSUTiga

@jvalhenson One more question. On the shell, after I scrape what flesh I can, should I use borax or what route? I'm going to spray the outside part with poly or something.

5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

:eek:

6. LSUTiga

I have it in a tank. I purge them, so-to-speak. I'm not butchering it just yet.

KyleK likes this.
  7. jvalhenson

Yea borax is all I've ever used for turtle shells, snake skins, turkey feet etc. other stuff works too but borax cheap and easy to get.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

After you put the borax and let it set a few days, how to you take it off before coming with a sealant? I was worried it could affect the adhesiveness of the polyurethane.

9. jvalhenson

You only gonna borax the inside of the shell right? I've never sealed the inside or boraxed the outside so the 2 have ever met on ones I've done. I would guess wipe with a damp cloth? Maybe then go back and wipe with rubbing alcohol and let sit over night?

10. LSUTiga

Correct. I was also going to spray on some poly on the underneath too. Was thinking it would only help bond the shell. If you say I don't need to, I won't.

I'm actually starting to really want to go let it go when I release the two smaller ones. The property owner (good friend) would DIE. Dude is of the mentality of catch every one before someone else does. lol