Evangel to Play the 2002 National Champions De La Salle.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Feb 3, 2003.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

John David Booty and The Evangel Team will be playing De La Salle out of Concord California. This Team was the 2002 National Champions and has the longest Winning streak in High School Football. it will be played at Independence Stadium on ESPN.

its in the 9th paragraph of this Link

http://rodsevangelwebsite.com/content.asp?CID=56744

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well, aren't they special. Dunn says the LHSAA vote did not even "move their needle" and nothing will change. I wonder if Concord (CA) DeLaSalle would want to play the Louisiana AA champion? Also, I wonder if ESPN would want to televise it? I think not. Quake in your boots Dennis Dunn. Your days as king of the 5A hill are numbered. Another thing. Why was a Miami coach the featured speaker? Why not invite an LSU (or other LOUISIANA) coach to their big circle jerk? Could it be that Nick Saban doesn't quite put the spitshine on Dunn's boots that the others do?

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Nice Sabanfan. Nice... Could not have said it better myself..

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I can see it now.

Evangel blasts De La Salle. As a result any player on the EHS roster who has an inkling chance at playing college ball becomes the top recruit at their position in the state/nation.....i'm pouring it on a bit but you get my drift. All these superstars sign their letters of intent at Univ of ?, enroll the following fall, start practicing and spend four years amounting to nothing on the field.

Univ of ? = anyone other than LSU hopefully

5. PlaneauxTiger

PlaneauxTiger Founding Member

Evangel

I don't really understand what the LHSAA ruling will do to Evangel. So they have to play in 2-A. They will just pound those teams into the ground. It won't stop them from winning games.

My high school was in Evangel's district in 1-A back when they had Josh Booty and they beat us like 66-0. This is what they will do in 2-A.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Perfect timing now that Byrd and Airline are getting their programs back together. Maybe the students from those districts will go back to their schools and the other half can go back to Texas... ;)

7. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

scared, say scared

You guys from places like Carencro and Monroe really get me. You think it is more fair for Evangel to play 2-A teams just so ya'll don't have to play them. If you're proud of your teams then you should want them to play against the best. If you're scared then say you're scared. And if you think it is good for the Tigers for some of our fans to alienate the players and coaches of maybe the top football program in the state, then you are not only cowards but you are morons too.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: scared, say scared

1995 AAA quarterfinals at Evangel. Cecilia Bulldogs whipped their ass. No one's scared. Evangel is 2A enrollment. If they want to devote their existence to having this great program then do it in 2A. Then, let's see how well they recruit the tri-state area.

9. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I believe no one would be scared to play evangel if they didn't recruit their players

they have an enrollment of around 340 ppl boys and girls....they have 96 football players on their team...out of 340 students and 96 football players. 340 divided by 96 will give you a 35 percent enrollment that is high school football players.

10. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

This is the thing that gets me about this Evangel thing. Evangel thinks they're being persecuted for "being so good". WHY does no one mention that the kids who get shafted in this are the ones who DON'T play football? Here me out...

It's a general perception that a private education (like one at Evangel) is of a higher quality than a public education. If a private school limits their enrollment, that makes it a "privilege" to attend the school. As it stands now, kids who play football have a better chance of getting into the school than kids who are smart or work hard or have other talents.

I'm a big football fan. HOWEVER, there's no way I would support a private school that tailors their enrollment to a football program. That infringes upon the credibility of an education there.

If Evangel has its goal set as "playing the highest level of football in the state", then it should increase it's enrollment to include more students. Otherwise, it compromises any educational goals the institution may have.