Evans commits to Georgia

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Cody101786, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

This will be Richt's third top ten recruiting class in a row.

With this defensive group, Georgia's defense won't miss a beat.

Other than Christensen going to Iowa, I think Georgia just pulled in the second best QB available this season in Joe Cox. Cox passed for almost 8,000 yards and 105 TDs during his JR and Sr years at Independence, the same HS that Chris Leak went to.

I wouldn't trade Cox for RP, but then again, RP could care less about UGA.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Two things, Cox did terrible in the NC/SC game and was dropped a star by Rivals and I think Insiders.....wouldn't even put him in the Top 5 if not 10.

Recruiting wells does not mean a defense losing its best players will automatically continue.

With your DC gone, UGA's D will miss a beat and then some

Other thinking is just wishful and homerish

3. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

The DC issue is not that significant. Martinez was Van Gorder's boss at Central Florida and the system will not change much, if at all. If Gardner would have left, it would have been a bigger issue, since Gardner knows how to develop DLs to the tune of 5 high NFL draft choices since he came to UGA.

The offense that Cox ran in HS was very sophisticated. In a game like the NC/SC, he was dealing with a very vanilla package. Richt looked this kid over very closely and has compared his instincts to Jim Kelly.

And while recruiting remains an art, and doesn't guarantee success, the more talent that keeps coming through the door, the better the odds.

4. MarineTiger

I know all about Martinez and his packages are basically the same yet different on several issues. Martinez does not run the exact same defense so it will matter one way or the other.

Cox ran the exact same offense Leak ran at Independence...know all about it. Did very well at the Elite 11 Camp too....

Still has yet to show anything outstanding to a good bit of scouts. I think there is a reason why only Duke went after him hardcore (and yes, I know he committed there first).

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I really don't expect a big drop off. Martinez knows exactly what kind of talent he will be working with and Jancek and Gardner are on the same page. (I would be more concerned if Georgia really didn't have plenty of talent to step up, but it is there)

And the only good thing about Georgia having so many injuries in 2003 was the fact that all of the young players got plenty of playing time and racked up experience.

Richt is pretty high on Cox, and I suspect that he will put in some additional one on one time with the lad.

Don't be real surprised if you see LSU and UGA line up in Atlanta come December.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

UGA is loaded on both sides of the ball with a ? at QB. Very similar to LSU in 2004. The lost of the DC could hurt some but no one can predict that until they line up and play. But they will be a good team, of that I have no doubt.

7. MarineTiger

Chip, is it true that Blake Barnes in the 2nd half of the year dropped off the charts as I have heard from people quite close to the team?

Not really dropped off but fallen quite far down because of poor performance

8. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Barnes was red-shirted, although he graduated from HS early and started to work on learning the system during January of 2004.

Barnes completed every pass he threw during the Spring Game. 6/6

He missed a few of the Outback Bowl practices because he went home to Mississippi for his grandfather's funeral.

I suspect that he will see some decent playing time next year, especially if Cox is red-shirted.