Even more game thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Sep 3, 2006.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

From me? No way. Can't be toooo constructive.....

I am hopeful that what we saw last night with the passing game is indicative of things to come for the rest of the season. When is the last time we saw LSU throw so many passes that were 20+ yards? Perhaps Jimbo and Les have stabilized their working relationship and Jimbo now has more freedom to open up the playbook.

How awesome was it to watch over and over as Russell aired it out nearly perfectly to different receivers?!? If this carries on from game to game, then this is going to be an exciting season to watch! Also, it will help out because the offensive line obviously needs some time to gel so that the running game can come around.

Do y'all think this passing attack will last?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure. I think Jimbo utilizes what he has to work with. Last year we had Russell, who perhaps did not have the complete offense fully absorbed and a tendency to force a pass into coverage and a worse tendency to take a sack instead of throwing the ball away. We also had receivers with a tendency to drop passes. It made him more conservative and it paid off in a 11-win season.

Now, Russell has matured as a quarterback and the receivers are showing better hands, so Jimbo can open things up.

Also, USL was trying to stack the box and stop the run, which was very effective for a time. The way to get them out of that is to burn them with some long passes. So Jimbo did just that.

Facing a tougher balanced defense like Auburn, I expect Jimbo to run more of a short passing, ball-control game with time-consuming long drives. The opponent can't score if they cannot get the ball back.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Just looked at the stats from the AZ - BYU game last night. AZ only put up 250 yards total offense (185 passing & 65 rushing) against a pretty bad BYU defense. Looks like Jimbo will have another opportunity to fine tune the offense before we face the Barners.

The O line needs to gel in a hurry before we get to SEC play.

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Avg yds per completion was over 12. That's flat out awesome.

I am no over the top JR lover by any means, believe me, but he's well on his way to realizing his potential as a QB on the collegiate level. Very, very impressive, as were the WRs.

I liked the way JV ran with authority last night as well, looked about as good as you'd expect him to look. Nice to see AB get in the mix, too.

Based on the low-scoring affair w/ BYU, I'd expect a fairly comfortable win next week heading into Auburn. Great offseason, great camp, and great first game...couldn't ask for much more as an LSU fan so far.

5. ChuckM

ChuckM Founding Member

Jim Hawthorne mentioned what a wonderful walking advertisement for Lasik surgey Dwayne Bowe is.

Nice to see no dropped passes. Now we can get on with a passing game.

Chuck
    :tigerhead

6. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Sept 2 2006

NEVER! about time:geauxtige

7. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Love the pic Chuck..

" There is no way, NO WAY you could have come from my loins. The first thing I am gonna do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth!"

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm not at all sure what game you were watching.

9. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

You beat me to it

10. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

broussard ran well, scott was decent in some mop up but JV was pretty tentative and about the only big play i remember from him was the one where he seemed to tweak his knee/ankle, i think it was a screen pass???

passing game looked wonderful, say what you want about the opponent but a lot of those balls were money. i especially like the play where JR was rolling to his right and hits a stationary bowe on the right sideline, about 5 yards in, in the perfect place where only bowe could get it. all the long balls were wonderful, even the craig davis one that he didnt get, it was about 6 inches from a touchdown, cant complain much about that.

what was up with pittman lining up at MLB, it was interesting but watching on tiger vision on the computer i couldnt really see how he was doing. its good to know that we have a DLinemen who can drop into zone coverage tho. tyson jackson and glenn dorsey played well. didnt see much ricky-jean or marlon.