Exponentially shrinking faith in Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Sep 9, 2010.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We are to the point where the optimists have to make excuses and do a lot of mental gymnastics to defend Miles. We aren't seeing cutting edge football out of LSU. We are seeing a talented team struggle to perform, not inspire and amaze by their performance. Watching the Saints tonight I was impressed for the first time in a long while by ingenuity and resourcefulness. I and many college football fans don't get that from LSU anymore. An unbiased observer doesn't have much respect for LSU anymore. The cold reality is the further we get from Saban's time here, the further we get from inspired football.

When the majority loses respect for ya, there's a few people in that group who have an opinion that matters. The optimists are in the minority and are mostly made of LSU fans. Take something from that.

For those that say give Miles time, he's had time, so far we've basically seen a repeat of last year's unimpressive grind. Take solace in knowing that when we under-perform against Vandy your disappointment is shared by a majority that continues to grow. You are right to be disappointed. Miles is bringing us back to the era of a full cupboard of under-prepared but talented skill players combined with weak and shallow line-play. That was LSU forever from the time I entered the fray in the 80s. We were always the strong upstart, not really considered among the elite, and then things got worse until Saban turned things around.

Some say we were happier before the dark ages of the early 90s. We didn't expect as much, we'd become well acquainted with giving the elite an occasional run for their money, being the best x-loss team in the nation, living with moderate expectations for a pretty good bowl. College football has changed, but I think we'd support a damn strong team who had bumps in the road. I think our fan base could be fairly content with less than perfection. We embraced Saban, after all.

To those who claim we hate Miles no matter what, I say in general that is BS. When our teams were performing well I didn't much mind that the guy couldn't talk, played misdirection with the press, made questionable calls on the field. Those were all negatives, but it all seemed to work for him, and when he won the NC he kinda gave the impression that he was a secret genius. Sadly, that misconception has eroded and we are left with all the quirks and precious little of the smarts. The charade has played out, the hat is full of hot air.

And it could all go away with a string of inspired performances, but I think we've seen enough to know that's not going to happen. It stings more with Saban's success in the West and seeing the Saints perform at a high level.

Finally, when I see the "Miles guard" point at Florida's poor performance, other teams that struggled and the injustice of calling Miles out, I laugh. Don't rip a struggling opponent and say we'll have their number by the time we get to them. If they struggle when we're struggling, logic dictates that in general they'll be improved by the time we're improved. Too much rationalizing going on among the pumpers. You really shouldn't have to try that hard to defend a four-million dollar coach. Really, his actions should speak enough for themselves.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

:rolleye33:

3. lsu-i-like

Need to change your tag to TigerFans.com, right?

No need to verify your deep entrenchment in the shrinking minority. We were a few plays from a blow-out, y'all say. That's exactly my point. That's been Miles' MO increasingly as time passes.

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

The anti-Miles argument seems to me to be an emotional one. It cannot be, and is never, based on rational thought - because the data doesn't support it.

Miles haters FEEL like LSU isn't an ELITE program anymore (perception). They FEEL like other fans no longer RESPECT the program anymore (perception). They FEEL like LSU isn't winning in a dominant enough fashion anymore (perception). The FEEL like anyone who doesn't rant with them is a Sunshine Pumper - a Miles apologist. (perception) And the only thing that matters is the last two years (when LSU didn't have an SEC caliber QB on the roster).

All the rational thinking on this argument is on the non-Miles hater side. Even those of us who are a bit on the fence on Miles continuing as a head coach for more than the next two years.

I love to read rational, non-emotional posts explaining why there's a better alternative out there than Les Miles.

Sorry, lsu-I-like. You're a great poster here. But this is another lame attempt at trying to justify blatent emotional anti-Miles sentiment as anything other than a hissy-fit. You're by no means the only one, either.

5. lsu-i-like

The data does support it. Ws and Ls are not the only data. Our lines are weak. Our QB situation is unenviable. Our performance is consistently sloppy. We are increasingly less respected as a team in the college football community. Dig deeper into comparative performance data, not just W/L record; things become unflattering and mediocre, particularly for a team led by a coach making the better part of 4 mil.

I can't remember the last time I or the college football community was impressed by LSU - two bowl games ago? I really think defending Miles at this point is myopic and a borderline practice in sadism. The writing has been on the wall, but like I said, a few inspiring wins would go a long way in proving the critics wrong.

Sadly, my faith is essentially nil at this point and I feel strongly that Miles and his current staff are not capable of fielding a team that delivers consistent football.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

There's a poll up on TF right this minute that has been up for DAYS. How many wins.....

If it's such a minority, why is 10 wins still leading? Or is ten wins a down year now?? In fact, there isn't a majority of fans against Miles. Rather a VERY vocal minority. TOO vocal.

Forget UF...we'll see as the season goes on. What about Oklahoma? 8-5 last season, and almost lost to friggin' Utah St! Wait, but last year they lost their QB blah blah blah. But LSU loses their QB and has to start a freshman, and goes 8-5, Miles gotta go. Go from 3-5 in conference to 5-3 in conference the next year, and the program is slipping.

You want mental gymnastics? Here's mental gymnastics.

"8-8 in the SEC the past two years". Why not tell it like it really is? 3-5 to 5-3. That's how it really is. That's not mental gymnastics...that's the facts.

So why don't we see what happens as THIS season goes on, THEN we'll talk. Right now, we have a JR QB who most certainly DID show improvement, and wasn't that bad last year anyway as a sophomore. We're breaking in new starters at RB. BOTH lines already showed improvement, even with key members being out. And if you don't think the defense will improve, then start a thread about Chavis. But as for me, I saw LSU give up about the same thing they gave up to Washington in last year's opener...which was also too much. They improved as the season went on to a pretty good unit. They lost a ton on defense, and I bet you they'll improve as THIS season goes on and these new starters gain more experience. I also believe that one of two things will happen with the RBs.
    A) Ridley will learn to hold on to the friggin' ball...
    or
    B)Ford will show him.

For a couple of years now, I've seen people state that 2011 should be the year LSU really contends for a championship. After all, like it or not, this is a young team. But something happened along the way to 2011. Les Miles totally screwed up clock management against OM last year...and didn't answer to it the right way...at all. That's on him...and it's totally fair game. But for crying out loud...let it go. LSU is 1-0, and you have NO better clue than any of us as to how this season will play out. Did you wanna replace Saban after the UAB loss? What about the VT loss? When LSU lost to UT in the Cotton? Or Arky at the last second with yet another defensive backfield breakdown? And when LSU lost to Iowa in the Cap One, were you saying you were glad Saban was gone after that season so LSU could get a real coach?? Get over it. Get over the OM debacle. Get over Saban. This is gonna be a fun team to watch with all this young talent...every single one of them signed by LES MILES. Get over it and enjoy the ride, man.

You wanna see something sad? Let Les get fired or get fed up enough with the idiotic fanbase to the point he chooses to leave. Then watch Jeremy Hill, La'el Collins, Anthony Johnson, Kenny Hilliard, Jarvis Landry, et al....as they suit up for the likes of Bama, UF, USC, and so on next season. Then you can blame Miles for the bare cupboard he leaves to the NEXT Saban wannabe.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Let it go.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

UAB L, 10-13
    Florida L, 15-44
    Ole Miss L, 24-35
    Virginia Tech L, 8-26
    Auburn L, 7-31

Alabama L, 0-31
    Arkansas L, 20-21
    Texas L, 20-35

Florida L, 7-19
    Oregon St W, 22-21 Here's a close win that we should've lost in a season opener.
    Auburn L, 9-10
    Georgia L, 16-45
    Iowa L, 25-30

Look at these for a while. Blowout losses. Several last second collapses in games that should have been OVER. Close win to open the season against a team whose kicker missed 3 FGs. Losses to a depleted Alabama team. Losses to OM. Losses to UF. Last second losses due to undisciplined players. Loss to UAB???!!!!! We should've run that coach out of town.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

There's another issue here that no one seems to think about. What if Miles does get canned or leaves? What about the next coach? Will he be willing to sacrifice the next best thing for a clean program? What if we end up with a Lane Kiffin type who doesn't care about how dirty their laundry is? Or a Pete Carroll who wants to win at all costs - literally. Get bowl banned and lose schollies. I think we saw an improved product. I don't think Miles is to blame for players dropping balls or a dumb penalty that wasn't really a penalty but a good block. Thing is, I doubt Miles said "hey guys fumble the ball, I wanna see what tigerfan.com says about me tomorrow".

I remember reading ON HERE about how someone wishing we had gotten Nutt. That guy made this huge campaign to get a QB who was supposed to be the next Eli Manning at Ole Miss and then gets beaten by Jacksonville St. It's deeper than feelings

1 person likes this.
  10. lsu-i-like

Saban wasn't and isn't perfect and he isn't off limits when discussing Miles in my eyes. Comparing Miles to his predecessor is perfectly reasonable. Anyway, I intentionally made Napoleon a part of my original post and I think it's irrational for you to get up in your cackles about it.

TF is a niche demographic.

Wouldn't want Stoops here, personally. He's an overrated duck.

The handling of our QB situation has been a mess. I gave Miles the benefit of the doubt that first year. The second year made it increasingly obvious what a clusterfudge the staff had made and continue to make of it. Anyway, calling last season an improvement is true in record only. When I look deeper I see the foundation crumbling.

I see little improvement, a repeat of last year and much of Miles' career in this first game. It is my judgment (I don't consider myself hasty) that I've seen enough to opine that this will be a disappointing season where we see sloppy play and don't approach our potential. We will surely see but I feel the desire to make my feelings known now. Please prove me wrong, Les. Show me some inspired ball. Stop making us concoct excuses.

I predict we'll stick with Jefferson and he'll become derailed relatively quickly in the game, getting antsy in the pocket and scrambling way too often, looking for the homerun too long only to take a sack or through it up for grabs. I think Jefferson could still benefit from sitting on the bench periodically throughout the game to see things from a different perspective. And I think Lee could still contribute.

I predict that our passing game will not be sufficient to open up the run and that our run game won't consistently open up the pass. I predict Les will go with seniority too often.

I think our WRs and Shephard won't get the opportunity they deserve (and our team needs) to shine.

I expect middle of the pack line play on both sides of the ball and 3rd and Chavis. I expect an epidemic of 3 and outs, less TOP, yards, and plays than our opponents, therefore leaving our defense on the field too long and making their job more difficult.

It's not like we've been dealt lemons. Les has reportedly recruited well from the start of his time here. I do question that and/or wonder about player development.

I think a strong degree of continuity can be found between last season and this season, and that's not really a good thing in my view. I hate what he did at Ole Miss, but unlike many, that wasn't the turning point for me. I started turning to varying degrees well before that. My current malcontent is heaping upon heaping.

Saban wasn't perfect and I was hopeful once he left because he does have some glaring weaknesses as a coach. He really left us in a bind in terms of finding a replacement, though, one of many knocks I have on him. Saban blew a number of games, even had his own OM debacle, but it was obvious if not quantifiable that his teams were on the cutting edge and often played inspiring and inspired football.

That's just a part of the game. Make a strong hire and we'd recoup many of our losses. I'm not fully sold on the continued success of Miles' recruiting anyway.