Facebook, Islam, and Free Speech

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by OkieTigerTK, May 31, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Pakistan lifts Facebook ban after page removed - Yahoo! News

ok, i know that facebook is a private entity so they can make their own rules. however, putting that aside....

which is more important, freedom of speech, or placating a foreign government over religion?

to me, it doesnt matter what the religion is. freedom of speech is more important. i mean, its not like anyone is forcing pakistani's and/or muslims to view the page in question. or posting what they consider offensive on their pages?

i know it was about business, but really, seems a bit too pc to me.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

the word sacrilege, like the word judgment, has a fascinating spelling. same thing with tendinitis, although i guess tendonitis is acceptable.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

don't how many pakis visit facebook, but it seems like move motivated by money.

sponsors give money based on # of hits a website gets.

if losing an entire country cost them millions of hits, and potentially millions of dollars,
    I don't blame them for changing what ever caused the loss in customers.

4. OkieTigerTK

well, i get that it was motivated by money. but why also apologize for it? if the reason is money, why not just remove it and say "we removed it". why apologize for content they didnt put there and didnt even voilate any of their own guildelines?

granted, free speech has just been trampled because of money, but seems like excessive kissing ass is going on too.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

because that sounds more professional than saying "we'll do anything to keep the $ flowing"

6. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I don't expect corporations to have any balls any more. I'm almost to the same point with people in general. If there is money involved, people will say and do whatever you want them to. Everyone has a price, and we just found out what Facebook's was.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Multinational businesses must placate governments all of the time, including our own. Ultimately it is the people of these countries that must demand freedom of speech and liberty, we can't do it for them. Freedom must be earned.

If Facebook is doing things that you disapprove of, you can use Facebook to express your disapproval because we are free here. Or, you can vote with your keyboard and get off Facebook in protest.

Personally, If I established a business model that successful and some country balked, I would drop them. But in reality, they have competition, bills to pay and probably have to make concessions to each and every country they deal with.

It is Pakistan that deserves most of our scorn.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I believe most folks that are on facebook are narcissist, including my wife. Im not saying all people, but damn, why would I want to write everything about my life on the internet, just to appear interesting to myself and others?

Thats my rant!

1 person likes this.
  9. OkieTigerTK

they get my scorn every day for one reason or another. :hihi:

of course, that may be why it irritates me. because pakistan irritates me so much i hate seeing anyone cave to em.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

So what's your facebook ID again? I seem to have misplaced it. :D

1 person likes this.