"Fact or Fiction"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Sep 18, 2003.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

In the "Fact or Fiction" segment on Sportscenter, the first debate was over the question of "Will LSU beat Georgia"

Naturally, Trev emphatically stated "fiction" and insists that his lodgic be based because he feels Georgia is incredibly "battle-tested" where LSU is not.

Mark May--I'm starting to love this guy, snaps back and says, "FACT! (To Trev) You've been all over Georgia the past two years like syrup on icecream!"

So...there ya have it--like every great college football matchup, you have the predictions drawn right down the middle 1:1.

Only time will tell who is right....and I hope it's us! :)

2. spiggot13

spiggot13 Founding Member

Trev is a punk.

I can't stand Trev. Everytime I see him on TV I just want to puke. All I hear is BLAA BLAA BLAA. He sux. Geaux TIGERS!

LSU 37
    UGA 24

3. BulldawgTurk

BulldawgTurk Freshman

Their job is to make interesting television, not accurately predict the winners of games. UGA fans thinks the media is against us, and y'all do too.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its all just loosely scripted entertainment. One guy will pick one team and the other guy will pick the opponent. For that week at least half the fans love one guy and hate the other and the other half of the fans same for the other guy. Then they can rib each other in a manner of jocular camaradarie on the air about their picks. These guys probably don't give a damn who wins or loses except for having a mild rooting interest in the team they pick to win so they can have the upper hand in their on air smack about the other guys picks. OK, deepdown Herbstriet probably wants Ohio State to win but the Buckeyes are not the game they are doing except once or twice a year. The fact that people on forums like this rant and rave and compare anybody who picks against their team to Hitlers evil twin just show that the networks have been successful at stirring up interest and ratings. I don't remember who said this but it was some actor a long time ago who said "I don't care what they say about me as long as they are saying it and spell my name right."

I'll let you in on a little secret guys. The name of the game is Brand Awareness. How many commercials do you remember because they were funny? A bunch, right? OK, how many products are you aware of because the commercials were so irritating that you can't forget them? You might say to yourself "Thats the stupidest commecial I have ever seen and I am offended. I'll never buy anything from them." Maybe you won't and maybe I won't but when people are in a store looking for something the Brand Awareness is somewhere in a lot of people's subconcious and they end up picking up the product they are aware of and putting into their shopping cart. If it didn't work these big corporations wouldn't spend billions of dollars on TV ads and CBS wouldn't be broadcasting the LSU - Georgia game for those of you who can't make it to the game to watch it for free. Anybody who has lived in the Baton Rouge TV coverage area knows who Price LeBlanc is. Those commercials on late night TV where he yells about LOW LOW PRICES AND LOW LOW NOTES - AND FREE COUNTRY SAUSAGE WITH EVERY TOYOTA - DAHLIN'. He has been doing those ads for many years. He is an old man in a wheelchair now and he still does them. Price didn't start out with a zillion dollar budget for a slick ad agency to do demographic studies but he instinctively hit on a tactic that ingrained his name and product upon everybody in the viewing audience. Price never deviated from the way he did commercials after all these years and he went from having a small Rambler dealership in St Gabriel to being the biggest Toyota and Lexus dealer in the south. You still think it doesn't work? Walk into a bar and look around to see which brands of beer people are drinking. I can guarantee you that more of them than not will be drinking the brands that are advertised the most. Look at all the posts on Tigerforums bashing Corso or Herbstriet or Trev Alberts. ESPN has done their job. Love them or hate them you are talking about them. It looks like Kirk Herbstreit is in first place for most hated TV football announcer. Go ahead and hate him. You will still watch even if its just to hope see him proved wrong or to see if he says something that makes him look bad. At one time in the late 70s a survey showed that Howard Cosell was both the most admired and most hated man in TV sports. There is nobody around now good enough to be both the best and the worst so thats why they play the good guy - bad guy game now. You can either love or hate Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Keith Jackson, Brent Musberger, Marv Alberts, Dick Enberg or anybody else. The networks win whether you love them or hate them. The only way the networks lose is if you are indifferent.

5. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

Bengal, you must have been

a marketing major. That is exactly what advertising is all about. Name recognition is missing in some commercials now, but the commercial sticks with us. The next time we watch FOR the commercial, we may see and remember the name of the product. It was a long time before I realized "the twins" were trying to sell Coors, but I watched for the twins instead of going to the refrigerator!

6. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Battle tested, who has UGA played this year to get battle tested.

I am not so sure they have been battle tested anymore than LSU has.

This weekend is the first test for each team.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm just glad that ESPN's John Clayton (Wally Cox) doesn't do college football. I don't know if Salisbury really hates him or whether it's just for show but I home Sean clocks him one day.

8. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

do any of yall ever listent to the Dan Patrick radio show...Patrick, Dibble, Salisbury, and Phil the Showkiller are freakin hilarious on that show...Salisbury isn't currently on the show right now as he is doing his NFL thing, but the show is funny as hell and I recommed listening to it if you can pick it up. (12-3 ESPN radio)

I actually think that people in the BR area get the Jim Rome show instead of Dan Patrick....I have heard Rome a few times and didn't really like him.

9. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I WISH I could pick it up in New Orleans. We used to get it and I got hooked. Now the only station that carries it is in Slidell and is so weak you can't pick it up if you are inside any building.:cuss:

10. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Mark May is a complete idiot. I mean....a complete moron. The guy bashed Alberts last pre-season when he picked UGA. Said David Greene "wasn't any good"...then said UGA wouldn't beat Tenn last year....would get "dis-mantled" by Auburn....would get beaten by Arkansas....would get "over-matched by FSU"......Finally at the end of the year he apologized. So what does he do this year?

"UGA will be lucky to win 7 games" to start off the pre-season show. He then apologized for those remarks about the CU game.

And my favorite is Mays calling Mays "troubled" for believing Auburn would lose to USC.

God almighty that guy has a HUGE chip on his shoulder about UGA.