Fake ref (?) for Cannon punt return

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Dec 12, 2009.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

About a month ago for the 50th anniversary of Cannon's punt return, I read a story (in an Ole Miss paper linked from The Advocate) about an Ole Miss fan that snuck into Tiger Stadium as a referee. It said he was a high school ref and used his uniform to get in the gates. When one of the real refs confronted him on the field, he apparently admitted he couldn't get a ticket and really wanted to see the game. The real ref just said to say he was an "alternate" in case a ref got injured.

For the punt return, I think it said he was one of the two refs running down the field with Billy and he instinctively put his hands up for the TD. I've watched the clip a few times now and it seems like both refs were on the field of play for Cannon's return (early in the return). Is this story true or just a joke?

Sorry if this was already discussed awhile back.

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Fake refs have been f'ing up SEC games for as long as I can remember.

Surprised they didn't use the film as not-so-instant replay.

Called it back, Ole P!ss wins 3-0.

You know things are getting bad when the refs start exchanging high-fives after questionable calls.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I heard this story on the local radio about a month ago. He was a high school ref in North LA and he did have a ticket but he wanted to be on the field so he changed into his uniform inside the stadium.

THe part about the real refs confronting him are true and they let him stay on the sidelines after he told the refs his story. I think he jumped on the train to Hobo style to get to Baton Rouge.

That was the ref who ran stride for stride with Cannon.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

So there was a faker in on the greatest play in Tiger FB history?

I'm p*ssed. :eek:lefire:

5. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

In my opinion, we still have fake refs running on the field and making bad calls. Crap, just look at the LSU/Fl game this year, or the LSU/Al game. We need a better way of checking out these damn refs before the games. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Yes, he was probably better than the real refs today. Just pick anyone out of the stands or some drunk at a tail gate and you couldn't do worse for an SEC ref than what the SEC fields these days.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This story has been around forever, well at least for me it has been. Many believed it to be a myth, sorta a legend to go along with the magic of the run. From what I've been told, by someone who was there, the story is true. Bhelm already told it how it happened. As for fake refs I agree that they are all over the place in the SEC. That's what we have every game.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

At least he did not call Cannon out of bounds. :insane:

hwr

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

No way even the fake ref could have screwed that one up, everyone knows you have to have 3 feet in bounds.:insane:

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never heard the fake ref story until tonight. Surprised he didn't throw a flag and call illegal block or something

KyleK likes this.