Falcons to continue NFC South tradition?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Dec 26, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Since the NFL South came into existence in 2001, the last place team the year before finished first the very next season.

Falcons were last in 07. All they need is for the Saints to beat Carolina at home, which is very possible and actually likely (Saints 6-1 at home).

So will the Falcons make it 7 straight years?

And if so, great news for Saints fans. New Orleans will be poised to win the division in 09.

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I love the last sentence!
    I thought the Saints had a shot this year. but injuries were costly. I believe if McKenzie and Porter had not been injured, they'd be in the playoffs.
    coulda, woulda, been 12-2 at this time with those players.

3. islstl

Just look at the Redskins (9 point lead with 12 minutes to go), Broncos (blown no-call by the ref), Minnesota (Saints handed them that one on a silver platter) and Tampa games (2 Ints by Brees in the last 3 minutes of that game), and this team should have had 11 wins by now, even with those injuries.

I just hope the Saints get back to running with Deuce (he'll be healthy like he was in 2006 hopefully) to control the clock a little better and get some real safeties back there to go along with our DBs.

Do that and 09 could be special.

4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

You better watch the game Sunday because that will, in all likelihood, be Deuce's last game as a Saint. With three major knee injuries in the last 4 years, he's done. I think he might even retire, we'll see.

5. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

I think the Saints cut him if he doesn't retire. His cap figure is over 7 million dollars for next year and sadly Deuce isn't worth that kind of money anymore.

6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I thought he only had 2 surgeries?
    I believe he's done with the Saints as well. He's not used enough to justify his salary.
    I don't believe he's done as a player. He can still get it done. He just can't break an 80 yd run anymore, but he still moves the pile and hardly gets thrown for a loss. Payton plays "gorilla ball" in football. He waits for the 3 run HR, instead of hit and run or steals to set up runs. Deuce can't hit the 3 run HR anymore, but he can get singles...that's why Payton doesn't use him anymore. He wants speed, speed and more speed.
    I don't see Deuce playing for another team. If so, I sure hope it's not the Falcons! How horrible would that be?

7. islstl

I think Deuce would serve a great purpose of moving the chains on 3rd and short yardage and goal line offense as well.

I would retain him.

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

He should be doing that this year.

9. Terrebonne95

Terrebonne95 LSU fan in Korea

That's almost accurate. The last time Carolina won the division (2004?), they finished 3rd the year before. But every other year it has been worst to first.

10. clair

clair Rockets

Deuce won't even be on the team.

Sorry.

No way do you pay a short yardage back 8-10 million, when you can release him and use that money to sign 2 defensive players.

PT is better than Deuce for the bang for the buck.

If he's willing to be released and then come back for a 2-year, 4-5 million deal, then take him. If not, sign some fat dude like Ron Dayne to be the short yardage guy.