Fall Practice is half over ... who's hot

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ramah, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

http://www.nola.com/lsu/t-p/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/109289694536600.xml

Tigers rookies come on strong
    Doucet, fellow WRs top promising group
    Thursday, August 19, 2004
    By Jim Kleinpeter
    Staff writer
    BATON ROUGE -- A week into practice, LSU coach Nick Saban has his eye on several players from the Tigers' highly ranked incoming class who may find immediate roles.

"We've got a significant number of guys who may be able to contribute," Saban said Sunday. "You can't predict the future, but guys that have made a good impression, all three freshmen receivers have done an outstanding job and look like they may all contribute to the team in some way."

Saban singled out Early Doucet and fellow receivers Xavier Carter and Lavelle Hawkins, fullback Jacob Hester, offensive lineman Ryan Miller, tight end Mit Cole, defensive linemen Charles Alexander and Glenn Dorsey and defensive back Chevis Jackson.

Doucet was at the top of that list. He was a Parade All-American, rated the No. 1 prospect in the state and was a consensus top-five national prospect by the major recruiting services. His first week in camp has caught the eye of his fellow wide receivers and supported the hype.

"The guy I think can be really special is Early," said junior Skyler Green, the most experienced wideout. "You can tell he studies the playbook. He's a special kind of guy."

"He's coming along faster than I did in my freshman year," said sophomore Dewayne Bowe. "You'll see him a lot this year."

"He's a real humble guy, and he's willing to learn," said Craig Davis. "And nothing really bothers him."

With Michael Clayton and Devery Henderson gone to the NFL, LSU has plenty of opportunities for wide receivers, which may help Doucet's chances. He's learning fast.

"After the first day, I knew what was expected out of me," said Doucet, who compiled 7,014 all-purpose yards and 79 touchdowns at St. Martinville. "I got used to it, got the hang of it and been doing pretty good ever since.

"I'm confident in what I've been doing the last couple of days. The coaches know what I can do, and it's really up to them. I'll go out and do whatever they ask me to do and whatever happens, happens."

Miller and Cole can help out at a position where the Tigers lost seniors. Rodney Reed and Stephen Peterman are gone, and center Ben Wilkerson is a senior this year. That could be Miller's spot to inherit.

"I definitely have a new respect for freshmen who play their first year," Miller said of the difficulty of college camp. "I'll give it my all. I'm still young and have a lot to learn."

With Eric Edwards gone, Cole could chip in at a position that requires three or four able bodies.

On defense, Dorsey and Alexander will benefit from the departure of tackle Chad Lavalais and end Marquise Hill. Dorsey has been moved to right tackle, the spot vacated by Lavalais, and is finding himself lost among the trees at times.

"I was always the biggest guy on the field in high school," said Dorsey, who is 6 feet 2. "When I came here, everybody is 6-5 and strong. I need to get my pass rush going, get my feet quicker and hips right, just try to help out the team."

Alexander said he'd like to play but is taking it as it comes.

"You want to work as hard as you can to be on the field," he said. "I'm trying to come in and play a big role. It's a lot tougher, faster than high school. I'm kind of shocked I've made an impression. I'm going against juniors and sophomores, people that have been here."

Jackson is another who may be getting prepped for more playing time next season, when cornerbacks Corey Webster and Travis Daniels will be gone.

"Coach Saban does a good job of teaching and stuff," Jackson said. "I think I'm doing a pretty good job. If they say I need to play, when my time comes, I'll be ready."

2. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

On the ESPN practice, you kept hearing Saban say, "Chevis this" and "Chevis that". It was obvious that Saban took an strong interest in coaching up Chevis Jackson, which told me that Saban plans on playing Jackson this year.