Fans left due to the cold weather

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I really believe the biggest issue we have with leaving early is an issue LSU won't address. The parking and traffic plan is horrible. I'll be at the front of the line to commend the BRPD and Campus Police is much of what they do but when it comes to traffic they have a terrible plan and don't give a rat's a$$ about how long you have to wait.

If we could utilize the railroad tracks to move people a few miles away or come up with other plans, I think you would see more people stay.

I know I never park off of River Road any longer after sitting in my car for 90 minutes before hitting the pavement. I park near Stanford and walk 25 minutes to the stadium.

Maybe they need to talk to DisneyWorld or some other major theme park to find a way to move people quickly. Until then you can expect people to leave early. Many people will sacrifice the last 5-10 minutes (on the game clock) of the game to save 1-2 hours in traffic.

It's sad but true. You won't fix this through website discussion or peer pressure. You have to fix it through better traffic management. LSU would prefer to charge you for parking than fix the problem.

2. Joe Zorn

Joe Zorn Regsitered Tiger Fan

LSUJohn, I just can't envision any season ticket holder who has been around long enough to have 50 yard line tickets:
    A. "Not going because he thought LSU would lose"
    B. "he even hoped we would lose so we could get more people against Les"

Althought, sometimes we think LSU may lost the upcoming game, we don't stay home because of it, and we NEVER hope LSU will lose. For any reason. I think the guy was pulling your leg. His 50 yard line tickets were his view from his living room.

MOST fans did not leave. Many did, but that was weather related. It always happens with temp dips and with hard rains.

I was there until the end. I never leave. And my seats are on the 19 yard line in the East Upper Deck!

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I left after Arkansas scored, but I had my 3.5 year old daughter with me which was a beating the entire game and she was under-dressed for the cold. So I walked back to the RV with her and watched the OT in there.

I wish I hadn't but I am man enough to admit I really thought it was over after that so figured I wasn't going to miss much. But I did leave because of the cold and my daughter was complaining the entire game I wasn't much enjoying myself. She was more interested in Dipping dots then the atmosphere.
    I love her more then life itself but thats the last LSU game I am bringing her to for many years.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I def agree that traffic is awful. But there is traffic at every game. That's no excuse for leaving in the beginning of the 4th quarter. But to go back to your point, traffic is absolutely awful. You'd think with a lot of the fans going back to their tailgates and all the students walking back to wherever they're going, there wouldn't be too much traffic...one of the downsides of having an on-campus football stadium

5. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Unfortunately the Mississippi River restricts traffic to 180 degrees and I'm sure there's no easy solution but it appears to have gotten much worse the last 3-4 years. I wish we had a few parking garages, rail service, and more paved parking. It sounds like a good project for some of our engineering students. :thumb:

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The guy is currently one of my closest friends and I am currently one of his closest friends and we both went to LSU together. I've never caught him in a lie before. Although, in his defense, I did finally get him to say that "he really doesn't want to LSU to lose, just to lose enough so that we fire Les." We had an hour long conversation about all this on Thanksgiving Day.

7. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Then I walked in front of you several times. Should have introduced yourself. :D

As far as traffic...I park at the soccer field. Granted I have to wait until 30 minutes after the game is over to leave (game marshal) but I get to my car, hit River Road (for those you who dont know...going back toward downtown it is contra flow) and I'm back home in Walker in about an hour. Saturday I left the stadium at 10:15 and was home by 11:30...and that was after stopping for a pound of sugar the wife told me to pick up. :thumb:

My suggestion for those who have long drives is to park on the edge of campus...The Vet school area is good because even if you are headed east or south you get to downtown then hit Government to the Interstate. Better than trying to backtrack through campus. If you park on the east side of campus then try the Ag Center. I get out pretty quickly when I used to park there too. Get to Stanford/Acadian to I-10.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Three was probably a little bit young. My four-year-old begged to go, but I told her she'd have to wait two years until she's in 1st grade. It worked well that way with my older daughter, who enjoyed the Arkansas game two years ago. As a 3rd grader, she was a perfect age--no complaining whatsoever.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sitting in traffic after the game is part of the overall experience. That's why they have the post game call in show.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I did not think it was that cold. I had shorts and a fleece on. Even my wife was comfortable and she would sleep in the dryer if she could.

Most of the people I saw leave were not bitching about the cold. They just gave up in the fourth quarter because LSU didn't score another touchdown. When we went to overtime, I just laughed.