Fantastic BCS Article on CFBnews.com

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerinAustin, Dec 8, 2003.

1. TigerinAustin

TigerinAustin Founding Member

Forgive me if this has already been posted but I thought this article was both insightful and very amusing.

FIU's Cavalcade of Whimsy

If this column sucks … it’s not my fault. The human factor in my system worked, my strength of schedule rocks and I even have a quality win. However, four of seven computers didn’t like the column.

Are you REALLY so sure that USC is number one? … And I mean, sell the house, sell the kids, bet the ranch sure. Why in the name of Bob Stoops is everyone so absolutely, whiny positive that the USC Trojans are the best team in America just because the continuously fallible humans have them ranked in the top spot? These are the same humans who unanimously voted Oklahoma the best team in college football all season and turned out to be wrong. These are the same humans who rank TCU in the top 20 because of record and not actual performance. And these are the same humans who form the one component of the system that’s the most flawed. Isn't it just possible that USC isn't the number one team in college football just because the coaches and media says it is?

While everyone wants to be bandwagon and rip the BCS, the hard fact of the matter is that the system did exactly what it was supposed to do. No one likes the acknowledge this, but the system worked. The BCS isn’t necessary when there are two unbeaten teams, the BCS is there so when there are several dead even teams, like there were this year, the two best according to what actually happened over the course of the season will play for the national title. USC would’ve been in the Sugar Bowl if Notre Dame had beaten Syracuse. USC might have been in the Sugar Bowl if Hawaii had beaten Boise State. There’s one problem … Notre Dame and Hawaii stink, and it’s the BCS’s job to sniff that out. That’s the whole point. Is USC the best team in college football? Maybe, but LSU might also be the best team in college football. Oklahoma might be the best team in college football. Heck, Michigan might be the best team in college football. Thank goodness we have a system like the BCS in place to figure this all out. Sincerely, Mr. Roboto.

Show some spine Mike Tranghese … Don’t apologize and make excuses for your system in every interview, and don't be so quick to say that changes are in the works. If you don’t believe in the BCS, why the heck is anyone else supposed to?

Somewhere, Michigan is watching all of this and thinking to itself, “Don’t you worry your pretty little heads BCS people. We’ll bail you out.”

Your choice … 1) Love Actually, 2) Mona Lisa Smile, 3) The 2003 Heisman Trophy ceremony. Can’t we give it to Rex Grossman for not winning it in 2001?

Somewhere, USC is watching all of this and waiting to do its version of SCTV’s Farm Film Celebrity Blow-Up. “We going to blow this BCS thing up real good.”

Isn’t it amazing how Oklahoma stinks now, Jason White can’t play, Bob Stoops can’t coach and the Sooner defense was overrated all along? Please.

I can’t taste my beer either.

At some point, an announcer needs to dog the team he’s covering. No one announcing an LSU game will say that Oklahoma and USC should be playing for the national title.

In hindsight, Georgia knew it didn’t have a chance against LSU when Dr. Pepper Challenge winner Chuck Bartlett turned out to be the game’s second best passer.

At some point Texas head coach Mack Brown is going to go in bedroom by himself, sit on the floor and with a thousand-yard stare repeatedly turn a light on and off Glenn Close Fatal Attraction style over how he can’t catch any sort of a break with Oklahoma. It’s not enough that Sooners blast him and his Longhorns every year in the Red River Rivalry, but just when he finally did a heck of a job getting his team rolling at the end of the year, Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas and Texas got knocked out of the BCS. Oh yeah, and Oklahoma is still playing for the national title. There’s going to be a rabbit cooking in Bob Stoops’ kitchen at some point.

It’s not fair to Kansas State and the amazing job Bill Snyder, Darren Sproles and Ell Roberson did to start questioning whether or not the Mike Stoops to Arizona thing was to blame for the Sooner loss. Stoops wasn’t out there getting burned by James Terry or getting its doors blown off by Sproles.

Is Oklahoma going to fire Bob Stoops now because the Sooners don’t want to “accept mediocrity?” That Nebraska loss to Kansas State doesn’t look so lousy now.

1998 Kansas State fans have to be wondering how the Wildcats lost in overtime in that year's Big XII title game, yet were passed over by Florida State to play Tennessee for the national title. Now Oklahoma got destroyed and is playing for the whole ball of wax.

There can’t be any more whining about the MAC and why it doesn’t get respect until it can fill all the seats for its championship game.

Real world theoretical discussion of the day … Virginia Tech RB Kevin Jones would have to be totally nuts to play against California in the Insight Bowl. Jones has already said he’s going to leave school early to go off to the NFL where he’s sure to be a first round pick, so why risk a Willis McGahee-Fiesta Bowl moment potentially costing himself tens of millions of dollars? If you win the lottery, you don’t put the winning ticket in your pants pocket and throw it in the wash. We all like to think about the joy of sports and the fun of college football, but this is business, and Kevin Jones is a one-man multi-million dollar corporation about to happen.

No announcer who ever covered a Hawaii game has ever been able to call Warrior QB Timmy Chang, Chang. It’s always TimmyChang is coming on to the field, TimmyChang is throwing the ball for the 54th time, TimmyChang is throwing his fourth interceptions. He has to open the first Hawaiian-Mex fusion restaurant serving TimmyChangas.

As if you didn’t have enough of the BCS … Why can’t the system still be used AFTER the bowls are played? If the BCS is in place to get to the root of how teams are supposed to be ranked, then doesn’t it make sense to see how the standings would shake out after the bowls?

Shhhh, if you listen quietly you can hear Syracuse RB Walter Reyes scoring another touchdown on Notre Dame.

And finally … Sorry that this column sucked, it’s not my fault. Frank Solich turned down my offer to write it for me. But he felt honored and carefully considered the request.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is one of the best columns I have read. Well said.

3. TigerinAustin

TigerinAustin Founding Member

This same guy did some stream of counciosness game notes that were terrific but I can't find em now....